My trip to Rio

Rio de Janeiro Travel Blog

I landed in Rio to gray skies and rain running down the windows of the plane.  After passing through customs, I was greeted by the smiling face of Manu, a local guide I had hired to take me around for a couple days.   He dropped me off at my hostel, a block of Ipanema beach and there I was in rainy,  wet,  Rio.  Not quite what I had pictured in my mind.  Almost immediately I met my roommates Paul and Rae from London who had also just arrived and the 3 of us set off walking the beaches in the drizzle.  It pretty much rained or was pretty gloomy the first 3 days, then it started clearing up, although people really were only on the beach on my last day there, which still started out a bit overcast.  So I will have to return another time so I can enjoy the beaches.  I met lots of cool people in my hostel and so I didn't spend much time alone.  My guide was great and I spent a day and a half with him driving me around to the Tijuca Rainforest, touring around downtown, eating some local Brazilian food and going all over Rio.  We were supposed to drive out of the city to Buzios and it's many fabulous beaches  for a long day trip, but due to the weather, there was no point in going.  I didn't even see the Christo de Redentor statue more than once due to clouds, but I had a great time in Rio in spite of the weather not cooperating.   I took a very interesting tour of the Rocinha favela, it was a great tour and the money made from it goes towards a school for kids in a smaller favela there that we got to visit at the end of the tour.   Some other people from the hostel and I took a taxi downtown for a fun night out in the Lapa district, we went to a cool 3-story bar that was filled with tons of antiques and there was a live samba band playing so it was really fun.    Another night out with people from the hostel took us to the club called House and we drank too many caipirinhas and had a great time dancing.  I caught some live music a couple other nights too at local bars.  Rio is absolutely gorgeous and so green and lush.  I would love to return someday.