My trip to Buenos Aires

Buenos Aires Travel Blog

I left Rio on a 3-hour flight to Buenos Aires where I met a Brazilian couple from Rio who were seated next to me.  My time on the flight went qucikly chatting with them and they were so kind and sweet, they took a picture with me at the airport in BA and invited me to join them on a trip to Uruguay on the ferry.  They were so warm and friendly, I noticed the same thing about people in Buenos Aires in the places I went.    I stayed in a great hostel in BA not too far from San Telmo.  The staff was awesome and it seemed everyone who was staying there was there for my entire 11 night stay, so it was like one big family at the hostel and there was a lot of action in the common areas.  We had a huge BBQ there one night and Raul grilled up some impressive hunks of meat for our dinner.  We made dinner at the hostel a couple other nights too, so that was great.

I took a lot of private tango lessons while I was there with a really nice couple who lived near my hostel.  I met another guy at my hostel who was also taking lessons and so we went out to a social dance one evening in Palermo.  I don't know enough tango yet to do much dancing, but I very much enjoyed watching others dance and getting a chance to dance a little salsa with a local guy when the music changed for a few songs.    I had a friend  from Seattle who coincidentally was in BA at the same time as me, so we went out salsa-dancing one night and that is where I met my friend Juan.  It was funny for us to try and talk as I had been through only one session of Spanish classes before my trip and so I was limited with my words and he only knew very few English words but we still got most things figured out and had some laughs in the process.  I visited Eva Peron's grave in the Recoleta Cemetary, it is a really cool cemetary to explore.  I went to dinner/tango show one night with Paul and Rae, the London couple I had met previously in Rio.  It was a very good show and worth the money if you like to watch people dancing.  I also met up with another guy named Juan whom I had met in Rio who was actually from BA and we had a long, leisurely lunch one afternoon which was nice.   A large group of us when to an outdoor drum circle one night and that was really fun too.  I booked a day of horseback riding at Los Dos Hermanos  and they sent a driver to pick me up and take me out of the city to their Estancia and I had a day of riding with about 14 other people.  It was great fun and the day included breakfast as well as a big BBQ lunch outside on picnic tables.  It was a hot day, about 85  degrees, and I got a terrible sunburn on my back where I couldn't reach with the sunscreen.  I had a great time time in Buenos Aires, I loved the cafe culture, I loved the people, it's a great city to visit.