Storms over Medellin

Medellin Travel Blog

Another thunderstorm moving across Medellin, Colombia. Video taken from the roof of Novelty Suites Hotel on Monday November 16th, 2009.
Today is a holiday in Colombia, the Independence of Cartegena. So, many places are closed and people are extra lazy today, including myself. And it's a good day for it too, the morning and early afternoon were unusually muggy and now there's a beautiful thunderstorm raining down on the city.

I have to say the most awe inspiring things I've witnessed here have been the two thunderstorms. Last night I sat on the roof deck of the hotel, drinking Aguilars and watching a magnificent storm move across the mountaintops and the western side of the city. That one never made it here to El Poblado.

However this afternoon's storm came in over the same western mountains, but was much larger and enveloped the entire city. It started with the hills of San Javier, then grew over towards Laurales and the Stadium area; then I watched it take over downtown, seeing the landmark needle building disappear. Then, I saw Cerro Nutibara start to become envoloped, and I knew it was heading my way. Sure enough within minutes it was pouring in El Poblado.

Growing up, I used to witness storms travel down the Potomac river; we could always tell where on the river the storm was based on the thunder. However I have never had such a spectacular front seat view to something like this, watching it dance across the Andes, and slowly but surely take over an entire city.

I am truly lucky to be in such a wonderful place and get to see such amazing displays of God vs man.
Another thunderstorm moving acros…
A thunderstorm moving across the …
photo by: caliphil007