This Journey\'s Beginning

Koh Samui Travel Blog

Thai Airways Flight LAX to BKK

The beginning of any trip whether it be a short weekender or a 6 week adventure can often be an overwhelming day.  It is the day where you begin living something you have been thinking about for in some cases (mine) 8 years.  That being said, I have decided to change the way I will live each day of my Thailand adventure.  I read a quote on the train from San Diego to LA that inspired me to do the same.  Walt Whitman wrote in his "Song on the Open Road"...

"From this hour I ordain myself loose of limits and imaginary lines, Going where I list, my own master total and absolute, Listening to others, considering well what they say, Pausing, searching, receiving, contemplating, Gently, but with undeniable will divesting myself of the holds that would hold me.

"   -- Walt Whitman

It was after reading that quote I decided to let go of 8 years of expectations, dreams, and thoughts of what I thought Thailand would be.  As soon as I made that commitment, my outlook changed -- the possibilities of what could happen over the next 5 weeks changed from great to limitless.  No concerns about weather, accommodations, getting from here to there, what we had to do, what we had to see, they were all gone.  I am free of all expectations and ready to bring on the experience!

July 21st, 2009 (San Diego, CA)

I make my way, backpack and all to the San Diego Santa Fe Depot (train station)  I hop on an empty Amtrak train heading north along the coast to Los Angeles.

The first thing I noticed, while still in SD was that when you walk along the street with a large pack on your back and Keens people look at you different.  Not in the negative aspect, but in a curious one.  What are they doing, where are they heading, and they too begin to dream.  I realized this while riding the bus to the train station.  It's jam packed and no where to sit, so I am jammed up with some guys that keep looking at me like he wants to say something.  Finally he gets to it and asks something along the lines of, "are you heading home? where have you been?  did you like America!?"  Actually buddy I live here and am beginning my journey 1/2 way around the world!  He stopped talking to me!  I guess I wasn't exotic enough or something or didn't have the accent he was expecting!  It cracked me up.
Bangkok Airport
  It was there that I switched my mentality as a recently graduated college student to a backpacker!  I am off to experience the world!

After one bus, one train, one Gladis taxi, two airplanes, and a resort shuttle later I arrive 27 hours after my departure at my destination.  Koh Samui, Thailand...aww the view from the plane was remarkable.  The people with their impeccable smiles and radiating complexion completely catch you off guard.  The lush scenery of the tropics is filled with the contrasting colors from the water, the flowers, the plants, and the decor.  The hospitality of the Thai people can only be described as beautiful, for that is what they portray with every word, phrase, smile, and gesture.

However, that is about as far as we got, Bri and I experienced a few hours of Thailand and simply became dead to the world.  We slept maybe 2 hours on our journey and were exhausted to an extreme.  We were asleep at the pool, practically snoring by 4, skipped dinner and went to bed.

Dad, claimed this was a bad idea...stay awake it will be easier tomorrow if you do!  But i couldn't even sit up, I woke up a 2 am today, July 24th, wide awake and ready to explore Thailand, however Thailand was not awake for me.  It was pitch black and I could hear nothing but the soothing and exciting sounds of the birds.   So I spent the morning watching the one channel that came in clearly, Chines Pop Music Videos!  They are unbelievable and I truly mean that in the sense that they are unbelievable!  You can only imagine or I am sure today you could watch them on Youtube.

Breakfast finally at 7 am was spectacular, I tasted these fruits that are round and hairy and oh so good, dragon fruit, freshly squeezed orange, guava, pineapple juice, and smoothies.  A plethora of amazing western and thai dishes, it was spectacular and free!  It was the largest free buffet I have ever seen and so delicious.  Brianne and I are still recovering and attempting to gain our complete energy back, so what better way to do that then get a 3 hour Thai and Oil Massage and Facial for $50 a piece.  Yes, that is it $50.  A massage like the one we just had in the states would be at the very least $250!  Remarkable!  The amazingly soft handed and strong lady kneeled on my legs, flipped me over, twisted my leg over my head, and who knows what else.

Thai massages are definitely different, a little painful, and extremely rewarding.  And now relaxed and mind cleared I am free flowing with the words.

Samui Airport
Samui Airport
Rockys Resort
Rocky's Resort
Koh Samui Hotels & Accommodations review
Rocky's is a beautiful boutique resort...secluded, quiet, with excellent traditional Thai service. The restaurant is spectacular. The breakfast buff… read entire review
Koh Samui