Day 6 - Munich for Oktoberfest!

Munich Travel Blog

Chris vs. The Giant Beer

This would be our last morning waking up in Stuttgart, at least for a little while, and I can honestly say we were torn up about it.  They had welcomed us with open arms and in truth it was killing us to have to leave.  But, the wide world awaited and we had no choice but to press on.  Frank drove us to the train station and we said our final goodbyes and were off to Munich.

When we first got to Munich we had only one objective, find Oktoberfest.  This was not nearly as difficult to achieve as we anticipated.  We only had to follow the constant stream of lederhosen flowing out of the train station.

Seb vs. The Giant Beer
  Oktoberfest is something quite different than any of us expected. It is really just a huge fair in the middle of Germany.  There are rides and games and food vendors and of course. . . beer gardens.  We chose one of the larger tents and decided to try our luck inside.  Now whatever you have heard about Oktoberfest, take that and multiply it by one hundred.  The garden consists of a thousand people all crammed on to benches with liter beers in their hand singing American songs.  It was amazing.  We quickly were escorted to an open place and three liter beers slammed in front of us (a cool 29 euro).  After the shock had worn off, we started to join in on the songs and dance.  Standing on top of the tables we toasted and slammed glasses.  It was an experience I will not soon forget.
My Party Hat

After we polished off our beers we left the tent grinning.  Stopping at a sausage cart we quickly ate and headed back to the station to catch our train.  When we arrived in Vienna it was already nightfall and we really had no idea where we were.  Not a good combination.  But after a little bit of aimless wandering we found the Step-In Hostel.  The people at the front desk were very helpful and polite and we had high hopes for the cheap hostel.  However, these soon dimmed.  The place was under intense renovation and felt more like a burned out Iraq warehouse than a hostel.  We shared the room with three other people.  This was something we had anticipated, but I don't think you can really anticipate waking up with strangers that don't speak you language.  It was awkward at best.  We counted the day as a win however. Cheers.

Munich