A strange start

Zaventem Travel Blog

The beginning of this journey was the strangest and saddest one I ever had. Thinking about it now, I can even hardly understand how I could feel so bad while being on my way to Spain. Spain, which is the country I'm in love with the most.

I had been looking forward to this trip so much, been planning a lot, counting down the days (as always). But 7 days before departure I got pretty ill, and it didn't get any better. So on Monday I went back to the doctor, who gave me this huge strong pills from "outer space". Wrapped in a metal-looking paper and with odd inscriptions. They were bound to work fast. But Wednesday came quickly and at work I felt so ill still I could cry. So after, on my way to the train station, I seriously doubted about going to the airport. I had such a bad feeling about the trip while on the train. I felt so tiered and so cold. When checking-in I doubted again but I told myself there was no turning back and everything would get better soon. But up to then, it had only became worse. My ears were acing, my eyes were pounding, I had a terrible cold, little fever still, and a burning headache. Not the perfect condition to fly, clearly.

Those who ever been to Brussels Airport B terminal will know it is a very long way from the check in to the gates. I have walked it quite a lot of times, and always I was so happy and exited. But this time I was feeling very bad and very sad. I had to drag myself up to the terminal. I'm easily emotional and stressed when tired, so that probably only made it worse. But thinking about how ironic it was that I didn't want to leave made me feel even worse, and by the time I was sitting at the gate I was crying like a child. It had gotten dark and rainy outside, and I could see people getting of planes and walking out to go home. I have never envied people that had just gotten home from travel, but that day, I wished I was one of them. And I cried even more.

Anyway, I got on the flight in the end, even though I seriously considered turning back when the gates opened. And once I was walking through the Barcelona airport terminal I felt already a little better. Maybe it was because at that point, the option of turning back was fully gone and I just had to make the best of it. So I decided to make the best of it.

It has been such a lovely holiday.
Today, I am immensely grateful for this journey and for whatever it was that has made me board the plane. Thank God for that!
Lord_Mike says:
Kim, sounds like you had an awesome trip...would love to make it to Montserrat some day! Congratulations on your feature!!!
Posted on: Jun 12, 2010
Biedjee says:
gefeliciteerd met je feature!
Posted on: Jun 08, 2010
lamadude says:
Proficiat met je featured blog! Wat een vreemd begin van een reis :-s zal in ieder geval memorabel geweest zijn
Posted on: Jun 08, 2010