Costa Rica Guide Story

Heredia Travel Blog

During the slow season of tourism here in Costa Rica us guides are often invited on free trips to get to know new hotels or a chance to see what hotels have done to improve their services. This last weekend we took a 3 day trip to Tortuguero to visit Mawamba Lodge which is a Costa Rican owned hotel right on the beach of Tortuguero. The group size was 30 of different guides and members from different travel companies in Costa Rica. I had the chance to have a very interesting conversation with a young guide. If you are a guide in Costa Rica you know the name Alexander Skutch. He was one of the most respected naturalist to ever live and he made his home Costa Rica. During my talk with the young guide he was telling me how he went to the house of Mr. Skutch and had the chance to meet him before his passing in 2004 (he was 100 yrs old). Mr. Skutch was originally from the US and then later moved down to Costa Rica for his love for birds. He was known for doing studies on birds but JUST OBSERVING and never interferring with the bird and it's natural habitat. Being a US citizen myself it was great to hear how well respected Skutch was and looked up to as a naturalist. It was a great reminder of the influence Alexander had on this country to the point where he is almost has become a roll model to young guides.  I really enjoyed the moment of being reminded that all the kids in the world dont have to "be like Mike".  With this said, we thank you Mr. Skutch as your legacy lives on and you continue to soar.

Heredia