South Luangwa - Our Morning Drives

South Luangwa Travel Blog

On our first morning in South Luangwa National Park we met in the restaurant at Flatdogs Camp at 5:30 am, eager to explore the Park. After tea, coffee and biscuits we set off at 6 am when the park opened. During our 4 hours drive through roads, smaller loops and tracks we covered roughly 40 kilometers.

The early hours of the morning are a perfect time to see the Park´s beautiful scenery and diverse wildlife. The bird-life is excellent and the mammals are at their most active in the early hours. I have been on many game drives in different African countries, but never have I seen so many animals. Not even 2 hours into our first drive we had seen most animals, including a lioness and her 3 six months old cubs. Just FANTASTIC!

Mid-way through our drive we stopped for a break to strech our legs and to enjoy a cup of tea/coffee and biscuits.

After 4 hours´drive we returned to our camp, since the sun heats up and the game find a shady spot to rest. Back at the camp a lovely brunch awaited us. How much better could it get.

Now we had a few hours rest before our next adventure, a night drive!
lwatkins47 says:
Thanks for taking the time to answer the many questions. I appreciate it.
Posted on: Dec 29, 2009
sarahsan says:
Thank you Linda! I absolutely adore Africa´s wildlife!
Posted on: Dec 28, 2009
lwatkins47 says:
I love great animal shots. Great job!
Posted on: Dec 27, 2009