Arriving Lilongwe, the capital of Malawi

Lilongwe Travel Blog

Lake Malawi
We landed early in Nairobi, before sunrise, so it was not much to see. Only two hours to my next flight to Lilongwe, Malawi. As we went through the gate my seat was changed and this time NOT for the better. I was looking forward to my A seat, so I could get a good view of Mt Kilimanjaro. But that was not going to happen. Ended up with an aisle seat on the other side of the airplane. I believe another passenger heard me being upset cause he offered to change his seat with me. Bless him!

Hot breakfast was served, but no special meal for me AGAIN! Not impressed by Kenya Airways!

At 9:35 am we arrived Malawi, the warm heart of Africa. Passport control in Lilongwe went very efficiently. Getting our baggage was another issue. It took forever. While I was waiting I went to the National Bank to get some kwatcha, the local money. I was met by the nicest man with the biggest colgate smile I have ever seen. What a warm welcome!

After a nice lunch at our hotel in Lilongwe, we went to the Lilongwe Nature Centre. They have a lion, a leopard, a hyaena, a python, monkeys, crocodiles and duikers. The animals live in large enclosures and those that can go back to the wild, will be returned. This little place can easily be missed. The most exotic animals are fare away and difficult to see.
Landing in Lilongwe
Landing in Lilongwe
Kamuzu International Airport, Lilo…
Kamuzu International Airport, Lil…
Lilongwe Hotels & Accommodations review
Chalets set in a tranquil garden
The Lilongwe Sanctuary Lodge is a new eco-friendly lodge located in Lilongwe between the City Centre and Lilongwe Old Town. We arrived before noon and… read entire review
photo by: sarahsan