Training in Parksley

Parksley Travel Blog

Parksely Victorian
The sign for the Parksley turnoff had appeared along Highway 13. I'd noted it in the Eastern Shore guide and remembered there was a train museum in the town. So, I had to check it out! A huge rainstorm came up just as we turned off the main highway. I imagined our Parksley side trip would be rained out, but the storm subsided by the time we reached the main town square.

Parksley was founded in 1885. A nice looking community with Victorian houses and brick storefronts. It's recent compared with most of the Eastern Shore communities. It's also inland, because it was founded when the railway was built through the Delmarva Peninsula. The Pennsylvania Railroad built down the Delmarva from Philadelphia to tap into the agriculture and fisheries of the region--and to promote it as a vacationer's destination.

In the event, we pulled into the town square with the sky still heavily overcast, but the rain squall abated. The Eastern Shore Railroad Museum was right here, but did not appear to be open. However, an assortment of railway cars was on open display and could be photographed. I walked over to the restored railway station, part of the museum now. As I was taking photos of it, a train thoughtfully appeared, so I could work the Bay Shore Railroad train into my depot photos. Two railfans also suddenly materialized to take advantage of the photo op.

With this, the rain returned, so we likewise returned to Highway 13 to continue our journey.
Parksley Victorian with cupola