Yankee Stadium - New York City

New York Travel Blog

Saturday's Yankee game at Yankee Stadium was the centerpiece of my trip to New York City. My 2 youngest brothers were also flying out to join me, but they were only going to be in NYC for about 24 hours.

This visit to Yankee Stadium had to occur at this point in time because it was the last season for the Yankees in this version of Yankee Stadium. They were building a new one across the street from the one I would be visiting. The old one is full of history. They called it "The House That Ruth Built", and it played host to the great Babe Ruth when it opened in 1923. A few dozen world championships later, they closed the doors after the 2008 season.

This stadium was really showing its age. To be perfectly honest it was a total dump. Getting to the stadium from Manhattan was really easy since the New York City subway has a stop right at the stadium. Unlike the newer stadiums there really wasn't anything of interest while walking through the concourses. Off in the centerfield area is what they call Monument Park, which is basically an outdoor museum with plaques of former players, and various other things.

Getting to my seat was somewhat of a challenge. The walkways were narrow and confusing, and there didn't seem to be any kind of logical system to the place.

I was very happy to have made the trip to see Yankee Stadium. It is a place that you see on TV more than any other stadium in the country. I'm not entirely sure what I expected. I'd been to older ballparks like Wrigley Field in Chicago and Fenway Park in Boston. Both of those stadiums had more character and general appeal than Yankee Stadium. Seems the most endearing part of Yankee Stadium was the fact that so many great teams have called it home. Fenway has the Green Monster and Wrigley has the Ivy, the Rooftop seats, and the 7th Inning Stretch. None of that charm existed at Yankee Stadium. Lots of memories made there, but good riddance to a decaying icon.
New York