Comerica Park--Detroit

Detroit Travel Blog

Believe it or not, I made my way over to Detroit for a weekend.  Detroit has taken a hit in public perception in the past decade, and especially in the past 2 years with the way the auto industry has fallen on hard times.  I was in Detroit to watch the NCAA Hockey Frozen Four and had time to squeeze in a game at Comerica Park, home of the Detroit Tigers.  Comerica Park was opened in April of 2000, so the game I saw was pretty close to the 10-year anniversary of it.  It is located in downtown Detroit right next door to Ford Field, which is where the NFL's Detroit Lions play.  I went with my brother, sister, and sister-in-law to see the game pitting the Detroit Tigers against the Cleveland Indians.  It was a glorious afternoon for baseball.  There was a slight spring chill on the air, but the sun was shining.  Comerica is an open-air baseball stadium, which I always enjoy on a beautiful day.  My home-state Brewers have a retractable roof, but it always feels more like you're sitting indoors even when the roof is open.

The Tigers ultimately won the game, and I took every opportunity to walk around and see what the park had to offer.  There was an interesting area if you have little kids who can't sit still during a game that has some carnival rides.  The food is typical of a baseball stadium, and I didn't see any specialty items that I'd consider a Detroit feature akin to the bratwurst in Milwaukee.  The location was good, it was great to hear the crack of the bat as it struck the ball again.  A good time, and a good way to spend an afternoon while waiting to watch your team in the national championship hockey tournament later in the evening.

photo by: vulindlela