EuropeSpainVigo

Vigo, Spain

Vigo Travel Blog

Near the train station.

WTF? I don't know what is going on with my body clock. It just won't get with the program. Yesterday, I forgot to set my alarm clock and got up an hour late, making me miss my train and screwing up all of my plans, but today.....I woke up at 11:20 AM! I haven't woken up that late in years. Good thing my train to Madrid left at 1:20 in the afternoon!.

Yesterday I finally left Porto on a pleasant trip to the Portugal border tow of Valencia. The train I missed would have taken me into the Spanish city of Vigo, but I figured once at the border, I could find a way there on my own.

The tidy streets of Vigo.
The clouds parted and the sun came out half way through the journey. The scenery was beautiful. If you live along the tracks and have any land at all, it must be required to grow grapes, because they are everywhere. I wanted to hop off and pick some several times.

Once in the tiny village of Valencia, the helpful station attendant suggested that I take a taxi across the river (and therefore across the border into Spain) to the town of Tui. At a similar sleepy village train stop, I was unafraid to ask for help in Spanish (although my accent must be horrible) and a similarly friendly attendant told me a train to Vigo was leaving in half an hour. I went across the street for some food, as I was starving, but the little bar had only beer. Okay, I would take a beer. My train came as promised on off I went.

I arrived in Vigo and had a decision to make.

A statue in Vigo.
Should I continue on to Santiago Campostella, the Christian Pilgrimage site, go to Ourense, on my way to Austria, or Stay in Vigo, where I would likely have an easier time finding a hotel?

I finally decided to book a train for Madrid for the next day (I am on this train now, composing this diatribe) and get some food and rest. The train left for Madrid at 1:20, the next afternoon which would give me plenty of time for a good nights sleep

I found a hotel only a few steps away from the train station, with the unlikely assistance of a couple of taxi drivers, who instead of driving me around the city and taking my money, simply pointed me in the right direction. I got a tiny little room, just like the two nights before, but instead of paying €62 or €45 it was only €36.

Is this a mermaid?
Clean, comfy, but almost windowless.

After stowing my luggage I hiked down the clean city streets to the waterfront area. This was actually a big city, with tall buildings, great architecture, lot of statues and a huge pedestrian mall crowded with people. On the waterfront were dozens of cafes, with chairs and tables outside, and everyone having a drink. I read a little in my book about the eating habits of the Spaniards, and it said that dinner was usually served at 11:PM! If I wanted food before that, I would have to settle for “tapas” or bar snacks which used to be free, but that custom is becoming rare. I settled in one of the many options and read the little tapas menu on the table. “Pescaditos” (little fish) sounded good. I ordered a beer and some pescaditos. As I drank my beer, I waited eagerly for what I though would be little chunks of batter covered fried chunks of white fish.

Vigo Violence
To be honest, I don't know why I was thinking that, because when my tapas arrived, much to my disappointment, was a plate of fried whole sardines, looking sadly up at me. Perhaps they were anchovies. I don't know but they were disgusting and I ate them anyway. I don't know how to eat fried sardines. Do you eat the bones? Do you eat the skin? Don't tell me you eat the heads! I tried not to eat any of these. It's a delicate procedure to peel the flesh from these little fellas.

After two beers and a hike back to my hotel, I fell asleep in front of the TV on my bed. I decided to just go to sleep for the night, but promptly fell awake. At 11:PM, I got out of bed and took an ambien (sleeping pill.) What's the worst that could happen. 6 to 8 hours of sleep, then wake at 7 or 8 in the morning and kill 5 hours until my train.

I remember waking up a couple of times, when there appeared to be light coming in the little air shaft window, signaling to me that it was probably getting light outside.

I don't know what happened here, I think it was a fight.
I rolled over and snoozed both times. When I finally decided to get up, I reached over for my travel clock, and saw the time. 11:20!!?? The clock surely must have stopped working last night. I got up and looked at my cell phone. 11:20AM, Sunday August 20!! WTF! What was happening to me. I don't sleep 14 hours a night!

I am all disoriented. I guess I am going to have to set an alarm if I want to get my body up to speed on this time change thing. I planned on getting some photos and videos of Vigo (really a very nice city I've never heard of before) but I barely had time to send out my travel blog (courtesy of the front desk's Internet connection to my laptop) and get across the street to the train station.

So, That is my story. I'm on my way to Madrid. Just what I'll do there ,I don't know. I do know that taking long trains from major city to major city will be the best way to cover some ground. Going point to point sounded like a good idea, but sometimes the connections are so infrequent, that it takes all day to go no where. Perhaps I'll find the happy medium. Thankfully I'm flexible and my time is my own.

Hasta Luego Amigos. Perhaps an adventure awaits me in Madrid.

Ciao! SA

Vigo Violence
I dont know what happened here, I…
I don't know what happened here, …
Vigo