Greetings from Lisbon

Lisbon Travel Blog

Arriving at my hotel in the streets of Lisbon

Well Hi Everybody.

I know you're used to getting these travel blogs in January, as I take my usual sojourn to the south, but this month, my Godchildren, Ivo and Ada Vonbank are getting Christened in their Dad's home town of Velden, Austria, and I'm going to be there for it.

Stephy, my flight attendant friend (and the mother of said Godchildren) got me a US Airway's buddy pass to fly anywhere in Europe that US air serves.

I'm composing this from my tiny hotel room in Lisbon, Portugal!

I left SLC on Tuesday, and stayed with “their royal highnesses, the babies” and Mike and Steph in Phoenix, so I could catch the early flight from Phoenix to Philly, then on to Lisbon.

Skinny trolleys
That's one long day. Actually, day and night, as I arrived in Lisbon this morning at 8:AM. To the rest of you, that's midnight, SLC time.

I got a couple of hours of sleep on the flight over, however I was seated right behind the lavatories on the 757, and my fellow passengers were going to the bathroom and slamming the doors shut all through the night. Geeeze!

I researched how to to let the taxi's rip you off, and hailed one to a hotel recommended by my guide book. My luck was holding out, because they had a room to offer for tonight, and they have free wireless Internet to boot! I think I might even be getting free breakfast in the morning.

I wandered all around Lisbon today. It's kind of like a cross between Mexico City and San Francisco. It's got all of the charm and great colonial architecture of Mexico, without all of the cars, pollution and crazy population.

Crazy cow scuptures
The air here is really very clean and wonderful to breathe. The weather couldn't have been better. Mid 60's this morning, warming to mid 70's this afternoon, the the faintest rain shower lasting one minute, and back to the cool temperature tonight.

As there is no room available for me tomorrow night, I reserved a seat on the train, using my Eurail Pass (thanks again Aunt Judy) for Portugal's second biggest town, called Porto. This is where Port wine got it's name. I guess I would be remiss if I didn't go to a tasting tomorrow, even though I find Port wine to be very sweet and disgusting.

Ciao for now! (I don't know how to say Ciao in Portuguese......yet)

Crow1147 says:
" It's kind of like a cross between Mexico City and San Francisco." - That's a new one.

Ciao = Adeus.
Posted on: Apr 08, 2014
Arriving at my hotel in the street…
Arriving at my hotel in the stree…
Another skinny trolley.
Another skinny trolley.
Everywhere you go, another cow!
Everywhere you go, another cow!
Lisbon