Schloss Ludwigsburg, pumpkin fest and fairy tale garden

Ludwigsburg Travel Blog

Schloss Ludwigsburg

I visited this gorgeous park with my dad and his girlfriend. It took us 4 hours just to stroll through the park. We didn't go inside any of the castles. Here's all the info:

I highly recommend coming here. :)

Visiting Ludwigsburg was on my list of things to do for a while now. I had heard about the Pumpkin-festival and wanted to see it for myself. The castle of Ludwigsburg is where you enter to see the pumpkins from the festival. The tickets were pretty steep, BUT you get to see so much. We explored the gardens outside the castle for a while.

Lots-O-Pumpkins
The weather was holding steady and it actually got pretty warm today.

I was all fired up from my photography class I had taken in my first semester in college so I wanted to try some of the techniques I had learned. Of course I was still lacking the professional gear, but my point and shoot turned out to be very capable of taking pretty pictures.

The gardens are probably much prettier in the spring and summer; it being the end of summer time a lot of flowers were on the verge of dying.  It had been cold for a couple of nights as well, so the tips of blossoms and leaves had gotten their first frost bite.  The actual pumpkin exhibit is located in the park behind the castle.  I had no idea how huge this park really was.  Attached to Schloss Ludwigsburg are the fairytale gardens for children of all ages.

Rapunzel's tower
;)  If you are not familiar with the German fairytales by the Brothers Grimm and others you should definitely familiarize yourself with them before you go to this park.  The displays are very cute and some are even interactive. There’s everything from Aschenputtel (Cinderella) and Froschkoenig (The frog prince/king) to Red Riding Hood (wow, can’t think of the German name).

BUT we were here for the pumpkins. There are millions of them – no kidding!  Small ones and HUGE ones some of which have earned prizes on local markets.  This year’s theme was dinosaurs so the pumpkins were arranged in the shape of dinosaurs and other reptiles throughout the park.

I believe my favorite part of Schloss Ludwigsburg and gardens is the “Rapunzeltower” where the princess let’s her hair down when you call her name. lol  What a neat idea! The kids around us seemed to very much enjoy themselves.

AND this is not all. There is an enclosure for birds in this park as well. There are very pretty flamingos in there and other birds which were hard to identify.
I very much recommend anyone in the area to visit Schloss Ludwigsburg and the gardens.

Rapunzels tower
Ludwigsburg castle from the back
Ludwigsburg castle from the back
Award-winning pumpkins
Award-winning pumpkins
Castle Favorite (its actual name)
Castle Favorite (its actual name)
Pumpkin T-Rex
pumpkin amphibian
Rapunzels tower
Pumpkin bean bag :)
Pumpkin bean bag :)
This was part of the Rumpelstiltsk…
This was part of the Rumpelstilts…
Goliath