Birthday evening at the Christmas market

Herrenberg Travel Blog

Blowing out my candles

Today is my birthday, but between school papers and trying to get as much out of my last Christmas season in Germany I'm a little behind on my entries. This is why I'm writing this blog on a hot summer day almost 7 months later. *sigh*

I remember the day like it was yesterday. I had invited a bunch of people over to our house, but since everyone was already invited to another location my friends told me to come over to their holiday party instead. Little did I know
that when I showed up they had a cake prepared and gifts all wrapped up to make me feel special.  This is what makes Stuttgart special. The people I met here and that will stay with me for the rest of my life – friendships that I
treasure very much even if we have crazy hectic lives.

Outside one of the decorated shops

The first part of the evening was at our friends Kathy and Shaun's house.  They were having a party for Shaun's colleagues and it just so happens that our other friends Lisa and Richie, and Lisa and Al were there too.  I felt a little like an intruder, because neither I nor hubby works with Shaun.  Everyone was super nice and there was a nice spread of food. Nom, nom. The party wound down early, since a lot of people had to make the drive home in the snow tonight.  The only people that remained was our group of friends.  They brought out a cake that Lisa T. made and they made me blow out my candles.  They all had thoughtful little gifts for me, even though I really only had told anyone about my birthday 5 days ago.  Very sweet indeed.

This was not the end of the evening though.

Herrenberg square
  The small town of Herrenberg, which is south of Stuttgart on A81 has something very special to offer tonight (and this weekend).  The Christmas market here only takes place one weekend, and it just so happened to be this weekend. Lucky me/us!

It is a short walk from Kathy’s house to the city square where the market is taking place. This was my first visit to downtown Herrenberg, and it was so special.  The snowfall during the last couple of days had turned this old Swabian town into a winter wonderland.  The “Fachwerk” houses were all covered and decorated for Christmas.
The downtown market is pedestrian only since the alleys are narrow and the buildings seem to hug the pathways to keep people warm.

Herrenberg church
  It was a cold night, but we were all dressed the part.   I believe I was wearing 3 pairs of socks in my boots.

Our group got Gluehwein in Herrenberg mugs, which we all kept, I believe.  The mugs show the year and the town’s main square.  The main square isn’t big, but surrounded by the Fachwerk houses and the town’s church looming on the hill above it is quite the backdrop for this occasion.  I couldn’t help but smile at this wonderful, magical place.  I’m so glad we ended up coming here instead of going to a restaurant or celebrating at the house.

It was such a great evening with the people I love (hubby) and care about (my friends and hubby).

missandrea81 says:
As a matter of fact, we celebrated quite a few birthdays in Herrenberg. My friends all live there, so we end up coming here a lot more now.
Zagnut66 says:
Christmas in July! Herrenberg looks like the perfect place to celebrate a birthday.
missandrea81 says:
Thanks for stopping by, Jim. ;) It was too good not to share.
Entrance to the pedestrian area
Entrance to the pedestrian area
Herrenberg church again
Herrenberg church again
Decorated window
Decorated window
Herrenberg Christmas - Only one we…
Herrenberg Christmas - Only one w…
People mingling between food stands
People mingling between food stands
Even the covered fountain is decor…
Even the covered fountain is deco…
One of the many Fachwerk houses