Wineries, Breweries and Quiet Beaches.

Margaret River Travel Blog

We continued our journey to Margaret River, driving past vineyards before stopping at one of Australia's famous wineries where we sampled their whites and reds in the cool shade of the building as the sun shone fiercely outside. I find it all rather funny when wine tasting. How people can decipher a wine, coming up with an extensive list of noticed flavours and aromas is beyond me. Undertones of chestnut with a full cigar box flavour and hints of plum with marzipan and daffodils...what the duck? I know whether it is nice, alright or crappy. That's about it. I do like wine tasting though. The lady pouring and informing said i was a good swirler. I can swirl well. Yay. Me and my sister had a crack with my new frisbee. Very disappointing. It's one of those one's that just doesn't stop flying. Stopped for a cracking lunch. Big portions - how i like it. Hit a fudge shop and the supermarket for our nights braai. Carried on driving while shuffling through my music collection. Passed yet more lovely scenery before entering a brewery where we switched to beer tasting. Duckstein brewery was the name. German beer being produced under the same purity law as they enforce in Germany. Twas just lovely and once again beautifully situated. Moments after setting off we arrived at a stretch of beach, largely deserted and holding that rough and raw beauty of nature left on its own and not manicured by humans. Snatched up a spot right by the beach for the night at last moment. The sun slowly began to dip while me & my sister strolled along the long stretch of fine soft sand. It was one of those moments that background music seemed suitable. A cool wind blew across the beach, and the sand seem to be moving, shimmering over the surface like a silk sheet being pulled slowly off a mattress. The water reflected changing shades of colour as the sun made its decent and the waves crashed against the dark rocks. Two lone surfers paddled into the darkening sea, catching the surges of water in the dying light as our steak cooked on the bbq. Meat, red wine, movies and bed.
Margaret River