The West Coast.

Queenstown Travel Blog

Today i travel by bus, with Atomic Travel, from Greymouth, all the way to Queenstown. First and only one on the bus for a good hour so had a nice chat to the driver who has a pretty sweet part time job of driving down the west coast of this beautiful country. I nab a seat on the right so my window faces the coast. The bus smoothly shoots through quiet towns, the sky´s grey but blue is in the distance. We pass much farmland and before following a road next to the coast, we stop for pie. Steak and cheese has become my regular. But chicken butter pies are pretty mean too. The mandatory fanta is bought as well and two together make a fine pair. The scenery grew in beauty the further we drove. If you can imagine endless stretches of green, alpine forest and dark mountains on your left with sandy beaches and the sea reaching to the horizon on your right. It ain´t a bad image. We stop at Franz Josef which is beautifully set in this landscape and is the hoping off point for the glacier. We stop for lunch. Steak and cheese pie with a homemade sausage roll. The real stuff. Eventually we approach queenstown, driving up, down and along the hillsides, pass yet more farmland where deer with huge antlers graze. The hostel sits by the calm lake of queenstown and is surrounded my mountains, the most impressive standing in the distance, dominating the landscape. The town is buzzing with activity. People are returning from skydives and bungy jumps, off to jet boat and mountain bike or play golf frisbee in the park. My choice of activity wasn´t as expensive or exciting as those and consited of merely wandering alongside the lake. It was a proper chilled out spot where couples were sharing a picnic and drinking champagne or kids sat licking icecreams. All very perfect. A guy was slack lining between two trees, above a spot of soft grass while the sun slowly dropped behind the darkening mountains. Kids gleefully scared seagulls which scattered, flying low over the waters surface. A few sat on the board walk, selling bands, jade stone necklaces and other accesories which were laid out infront of them. An older guy was happily engaged in playing his saxophone outside a cafe/bar where others sat enjoying a beer as the suns light faded and the towns lights began to show in the dark. I sat with a burger and ginger beer, people watching and absorbing the scene and atmosphere.

photo by: genetravelling