The Outback: Day 3

Uluru - Kata Tjuta Travel Blog

My eyes were met with another incredible sky as i awoke. A less rushed early morning, eating brekkie while the sunrose and then off to Kings Canyon. A long easy walk through dramatic scenery. Rugged beauty, picturesque views into the canyon and across the desert. Crossed a section of the Canyon called the Garden of Eden where trees, plants, birds and a pool of water where surrounded by high walls of red rock. As the morning progressed, the heat heightened & the inside of my hat became lined with sweat. Chatted with Brad and Elz as we passed yet more spectacular sights before reaching the truck. We then hit the road, back towards Alice Springs. Stopped for a lunch of sandwiches and cooled off in a pool. Spotted wild horses and dingos on the dirt road as we sped towards Alice Springs an alternative route, encountering few vehicles. We passed the MacDonnell Ranges and a truly spectacular, unbelievable huge comet crator. As we crossed the red desert, i nodded in and out of sleepy day dreams as the hot dry desert air blew through the open window, warming my face. My thoughts crossed to what i have learnt about the Aboriginals and the experiences of the last three days & it all seemed to beautifully come together and made me very happy. The Aboriginals have an amazing way of living and have very good ecological awareness. They know how plants, animals, humans and the earth interact. They realise how they all need each other and how very important each one is. They believe that once you die, you join the milky way as a star and will always remain part of this world. Somehow it made feel incredibley connected to the Earth and somewhat powerful. It made me realise how the World is Incredible, and I am part of it. Difficult to verbalise but the feeling was very clear. After 5hours or so of travel we got back to Alice Springs and out hostel. We headed towards Bojangles, the Aussie pub, the warm desert wind hitting my cool & fresh showered skin. It felt good. Me and Elz had the mixgrill of Emu,Kangaroo,Camel & Crocodile which was relatively expensive (for a backpacker) but so bloody good. Splashed out on some red wine and a few scooner's of beer. Was incredible satisfying. Chatted to the group and talked to the family on telephone while they were able to see me via the internet, due to the webcams they have situated around the pub. Brad was up for a night on the lash and was necking his drinks while Elliot too was up for a night of beer. It was great fun and the local radio station is stationed in the pub. There was a dance floor and the choice of music was good, so needless to say there was dancing. Eventually, after goodbyes and more beers, we headed back to our hostel and sunk into our matresses after an incredibley good night.

Uluru - Kata Tjuta