On to Laos.

Halong Bay Travel Blog

On the bus before taking the boat for a final time, we had to stop and return as one of the guys had "forgotten" to pay for his 146,000d minibar bill. The bloke who was bitten by the monkey had his wound sorted and stitched up. He said the procedure seemed almost medieval. They cleaned the needles by soaking them in water, alcohol and then burning them with fire. After the boat trip back to Halong City, we had a lunch of seafood yet again. I like seafood but in moderation. I have had too much over the last few days. The bus ride back was good. Full of chat. A lot of time i don't talk much, but i listen. It is interesting just hearing the stories of other people. You learn a lot. We had a few near misses on the bus ride back but made it to the hostel in good time. I bought the seater bus ticket to Laos. A 20hour-36hour ride depending on who you ask. As i booked the ticket, two english girls let me know that the trip was hellish and they would of rather spent $120 on a plane ticket. I looked for a pharmacy to buy some valium to help me sleep but none could be found. I bought a kebab which i happily munched on before catching the organised transport to the bus station. Two swedish girls (Sofia and Marilyn) were also on the same trip as me which was nice. We could share the misery together. Oddly we were simply left at the station. They gave us no tickets and did not return. It was 6.55 and we found out the bus left at 7.00pm. This worried us slightly. We saw a bus pull away, its destination Vientiene, Laos. We were on the phone to the hostel trying to sort things out. A guy came up to us randomly proclaiming his bus was the right one. We should get on, the tickets were sorted and it was okay. But obviously you don't trust this. Everything was a huge confusing mess with different messages coming from different people so we chanced it and got on the bus offered and hoped we weren't going to be ripped off or taken to an unknow destination. The bus was packed with goods being transported but we had ample space and slept most of the night, having to eventually move to make space for locals. However i still had two seats to myself, the swedish girls kindly sitting next to each other and offering me the extra space. I then fell back to sleep as we moved our way closer to Laos.
Halong Bay