Halong Bay.

Halong Bay Travel Blog

Off the train in the dark after waking up from a series of crazy dreams. My stomach is fine so everything is brilliant. Back to the hostel and i was eating my third piece of toast before realizing that i wasn't suppose to eat anything! I hoped that it would not start churning again and it paid off. Took the bus to Halong Bay. Things are very touristy but the group i am with is cool. But things improved once we hopped onto our boat which was beautiful, had lovely rooms, a deck on top and fantastic food. We motored away from the busy port and things became quieter. The skies were blue but the air was misty. Suddenly we broke through into dramatic scenery. Green limestone islands dotted the sea and we paddled inbetween them with canoes. We entered through a cave into a beautiful bay encircled with limestone cliff. Birds of prey hung in the warm air and butterflies floated over the water. It was dead quiet and the silence was serene. We visited a stunning crazy cave where the daylight danced on the rocks before darkness enveloped us and the dim lanterns created an eerie atmosphere. We returned to the boat as the sun sunk behind the limestone islands and spent the last moments in the lingering light jumping off the boats top deck and swimming in the sea which was really fun. I skipped dinner to ensure my stomach will settle but had a cold drink while the enthusiastic American girls from California sung and danced to the Kareoke System, sneaking off between songs to drink Vodka in their cabin. I headed up to the top deck and lazed under the stars and slowly people made their way up to just sit, chat and watch the boats float in the moonlight. I talked to a friendly Norweigen couple and then dragged to my cabin, which i shared with a German and American girl, as my eyelids began to droop.
Halong Bay