England in Malaysia.

Cameron Highlands Travel Blog

A shake of my dormitory bed woke me at 5.45. The minivan arrived at 6am & i was on my way to the Cameron Highlands. I slept irregularly, catching glimpses of the hills shrouded in thick cloud. I munched on biscuits and drank water as we made our way up. Fathers Guesthouse, my choice of accommodation was nice in that it had lots of cool travelers staying there. The dormitory was basic and cheap, but they had a cool lounging area where everyone chilled; listening to music, watching movies, reading, sleeping, eating, chatting. Spoke to a friendly and informative Canadian who recommended i just catch the bus up to the tea plantation, so i did. Walked into town & the bus left only an hour later but i started chatting to a guy from Edinburgh who was also proper friendly so i went and had brunch with him. Honey and banana pancake with a "full" breakfast of eggs, sausages, toast and beans for 7r/1pound20. He, like me, is also a quick traveler with itchy feet. He saw Thailand, Vietnam and Cambodia in one month. And like me, he just had continuous great short bursts in all the many places he traveled. Although he didn't enjoy Vietnam (but he only saw the south). We exchange stories, like you do as travelers. It is his first time outside of Europe after having completed Uni and he has loved it, apart from being attacked by a dog & boarding a dodgy pirate ship in Thailand. I hopped on the bus, paid the small fee and drifted to sleep as the bus made its way north through the highlands. The conductor woke me up at my stop where a 2-3km walk took be through beautiful scenery before arriving at the plantation. The rolling green tea hills strip moisture from the clouds which hang on the slopes. Everything is very green. Workers walk between the tea bushes using special scissors to chop and collect the tea leaves which they deposit into baskets which are tied to their backs. The sight was quite dreamy at stages. The clouds seemed to drip over the hills edges, merging white with green in a soft blur, seemingly like a painting where two colors have overlapped from the artists sponge. I walked through the tea factory where you the saw the making process in action before sitting outside, looking over the plantation while having hot tea and warm scones with butter & jam, as the rain poured down. It all felt very English. it started to rain hard, and i managed to hitch-hike back into town. The car that pulled up was quite fancy and its occupants turned out to be two French ladies. We stopped by a market, where they bought some fruit & vegetables before heading on to the town. I spent the late afternoon & evening reading, writing, sleeping, watching a movie and chatting to the Scottish guy some more. I walked into town later that night, stopping at a restaurant serving south-indian cuisine. I bought the banana leaf meal with mutton, which is a variety of cooked vegetable mixes, soup, a load of rice and mutton curry all served on a banana leaf. It cost 7r/1pound20p and really filled me up. i stumbled back satisfied and slept.
Cameron Highlands