Day at the Cricket.

Sydney Travel Blog

 › entry 98 of 105 › view all entries
We rode the train into the city, the sky dark and the rain falling. The harbour was a rain dulled colour as we crossed the bridge towards the stadium. A long stream of supporters lined up to enter the grounds. A good 35,000 had come to watch the first day of the 2nd test between Australia and Pakistan. We made our way to our seats which were absolutely mint, right in the corner on the second tier. It was a bit weird sitting there amid all the Aussie's, silently supporting the Pakistan team. It is the world against Australia when it comes to cricket. The start was delayed so we chilled and listened to music. It was proper chilly. It was frustrating, because a little bit of rain would fall so the groundsmen would take the stumps out, lay an inital cover over the pitch followed by another, then weigh it down with poles and follow that by a larger white sheet to cover the square. The rain would fall for minutes. Then a period of 20+ minutes would pass before then took it all off, folded it up and carried it away, put in the stumps and rolled out the pitch. Then just as that had all been done, a bit of drissle came along making them carry out the entire process again. So we had enough about lunch time, and headed down for a pie and a pint. So eventually a 2pm start was announced, and Ricky Pointing chose to bat which seemed like an odd choice given the weather and grassy pitch. The days play was brilliant. Australia were completely raped. In just over one session they were bowled out for 127, and it could of been a fair bit worse. The Aussie's had turned their attention away from the cricket to keeping beach balls aloft, making beer cup towers and cheering on drunk santa's balancing on the rails and avoid the police. A few mexican waves were started up, which when getting to the members section, were not continued by the snobby bastards. Although a few gave it a go. Walked from the stadium to central station with the stream of supporters before catching the train back to Chatswood. Walked to Joe's as dark fell, plugged in my earphones and began proper energized through music man. Just started sprinting into the fading light. Quality feeling.
Join TravBuddy to leave comments, meet new friends and share travel tips!
photo by: Sunflower300