The Americans & Melaka.

Malacca Travel Blog

Lazily started the day with a GOOD free brekkie of unlimited coffee, hot chocolate, toast with PEANUT BUTTER, jam and oranges. Chatted to a German chick who had just come from Melaka (my next destination) and she recommended a guesthouse. I said i'll check it out so she gave me the room key she had accidentally taken from the GH to take back. I jumped on the monorail, hopping off at 6 stops south then taking the connecting city train one stop west where i got on a bus going south to Melaka. KL's transport system is damn good. The bus station was basically filled with private companies, no Government buses. The entrance was packed with ticket stands where all the companies compete for the flooding of customers which stream through. Prices are therefore low and it cost 13r for a comfy AC bus (although the departure time of 12.00 was moved forward by 45minutes so to gain more customers-which you see a lot of in SE Asia). Met a young American couple, Charles and Natalia-wicked guys who were super-friendly as most Americans are. Listened to my recently charged iPod (such a good feeling knowing i have three full hours of music) and slept. Dropped off at the bus station outside of town where we avoided the taxi's and caught another bus (1r) to the City center. Found out that Melaka is yet another UNESCO Heritage Town and like the others i have visited, it had a good & unique feeling to it. We walked and talked, finding the hidden GH after passing it twice. And it was so nice. The building and GH was new, only having been built this year-so it was squeaky clean and fresh, big and spacious. It is family-run, the owners being a lovely Malaysian woman and a friendly French dude. They also have a great, really cute kid who is about 3 and happily runs about greeting the new guests. Their kitchen was our kitchen. Their living room was our living room. The only thing separate were the bedrooms of course. The dorm rooms was comfy and big (& only 12r a night). Hot showers. Free use of laptops & internet. Television and a big stack of books, which included a huge selection of Tintin books! Only missing four of the 24! Nice. Big soft sofas and bike rental too. All three of us took a bike and cycled through the city, stopping at a restaurant to try some of the much talked about local food which Melaka is partly famous for. It's cool that all this places i have visited in Malaysia all have distinctive & unique personalities with different mixes of ethnicities and cultures, different foods/drinks with different signature dishes, different architectural designs and also a different feeling/atmosphere in each of them. So awesome. I thought i was ready to move on from SE Asia, but Malaysia has just been so refreshing and I wouldn't mind staying longer! But i suppose you gotta leave some places untraveled so you can return! We scouted the local area and rode alongside the sea while a storm brewed in the distance, silent lightning flashing across the early evening sky. We came across some truly odd buildings and passed many nice looking restaurants before circling back towards town, crossing the river and locking our bikes up to take a stroll through the night market. We ended up spending a good three hours there. It was wicked just slowly making our way down the street filled with market stalls, munching on newly discovered treats and sipping on interesting drinks while soaking up the atmosphere created by the darkening sky, flashing lightning, street lights, and the buzz of the market as many winded their way through, tempted by what was on offer. I tried local sugary cakes, butter & pineapple cakes, dim sum, fruit candy (real fruit dipped in toffee), delicious Indian veggie pates, palm sugar juice, iced passionfruit & lemon, sweet & sour iced tea, & a prune/soya bean juice. I came across & bought some new bands which are now slowly filling up my arm. Also, splashed out on a hat (well not really, it cost 7r) which is a proper Indian Jones/Crocodile Dundee type thing. I lost my other hat so figured this will do! We past toy stalls where puzzles such as the rubix cube caught our attention. I am hopeless, & the guy owning the stall annoying completed the cube i had mixed up in less than a minute. But apparently all it is is mathematical rules & sequences which you learn and voila. Strangley, we also past a lone stall which sole product was the grippy rubber things you stick in the bath to stop yourself slipping! I think he should diversify, he didn't seem to be getting much customers. On the other hand, if the locals needed grippy bath rubber things they would know where to go. We then headed to Capitol Satay, a well-known and packed restaurant where the Que stretched long but luckily we came at a good time & waited only 20minutes (usually a hour at least on a Friday). It was an awesome experience. The circular tables have holes in the middle where a deep bowl is fitted containing the satay sauce which is heated up by a flame lying underneath the pot, fueled by a gas tank. You then basically go to a section of the restaurant where metallic shelves house piles of different satay sticks with anything from cheese filled peppers, to beef, to chicken hearts, to massive prawns, to lobster, to fish, to sausage, to weird things which were unrecognizable to me. You then sat down and cooked your selection in the boiling satay sauce. It was so GOOD. The place was crammed packed with locals, us being the only foreigners. It all went swimmingly, only problem was when the heat got too high and the satay sauce started spurting all over the place, however a waitress quickly sorted that out. After filling ourselves up we headed back to our GH, where after a good hot shower, i sank into the sofa and opened up a Tintin book.
photo by: louise2553