A rather dirty day out

Cartagena Travel Blog

But it´s not what you´re thinking!

Close to Cartegna lies the Volcan Totumo.  What is special about this particular volcano is that it is full of theraputic mud and locals more than willing to massage you in it.  Therefore it is also full of tourists.  My aunt and I took the tour from Casa Vienna ($35,000 COP) which included transport, entry to the park and lunch and also meant we didn´t have to catch local buses and walk for 2km in the heat to get to the place.  Bar-gain i´d say.

We pulled up to the volcano and were confronted with a series of steps which we had to climb to get to the top.  At the top a smallish pool of mud loaded with muddy tourists confronted us.  Now was not the time to be shy or worried about getting dirty.  After a bit of coaxing and handing our cameras over to the local paparazzi to take our pictures, my aunt and I were amongst the first to lower ourselves into the mud.  What a strange feeling!  The mud is thick and means that it is very difficult to move so the locals slide you through it.  The guys there are dab hands at massaging the mud over tired achy bodies and once you embrace the mud it actually feels rather good.

So after an hour or so of pampering, giggling, restricted gymnastics and mud fights we hauled ourselves out of the mud and up the stairs to begin the long, pebbly walk down the side of the volcano to the river to wash off.  Now when you´re covering yourselves in the mud you have no idea just how difficult it is to get the damn thing off you.  It sticks to clothes, skin, hair and ears and as such after 2 showers i am still finding little bits of dried mud.  Nice.  The local women will wash it off for you but im not sure i want my bathing suit ripped from my body infront of people.

A really fun day out culminating in a lovely lunch (patacon, coconut rice and salad) on a beach by the Caribbean sea.  Sigh.

Cartagena