Thermals and Shopping Centres

Pereira Travel Blog

Waterfalls all around

After a short bus journey leaving the wonderful Salento my Aunt and I arrived into Pereira, one of the three major towns in the coffee region.  After dumping our bags in the hotel we decided to head straight to Santa Rosa to spend the day treating our aching bodies to some thermal therapy.

A local bus took the one hour journey into Santa Rosa de Cabal where we had to catch a taxi for $20,000 COP to take us the 9km to the thermal baths.  When we got there we quickly realised we were the only gringos in town, much to the delight of the locals who were asking us where we were from, why we were here and if we liked their country.  Thats the thing about Colombia, the people are just so incredibly friendly and so happy that tourists have come to their country and like it.

Relaxing after a tough few days!
  The thermal baths cost $15,000 COP to get into and then there is a "spa" where you can get massages and facials.  We decided to opt for an algae mask on the side of the pool and stay in the deliciously hot water for as long as possible.

The area itself is beautiful, with waterfalls crashing down just metres from the hot springs.  I wasnt quite game enough to jump from cold water to hot water, anyone that knows me knows im more a fan of the heat! After a few hours enjoying the water I was befriended by a local tour guide who wanted to practice English.  So he practised English and i managed to blag us a free ride back to town on his tour bus.  So when the time came 30 locals and 2 gringos boarded the bus.  We were instant hits with the whole bus wanting to know why we were here and if we loved Colombia.

We were bought drinks and food by one lovely guy who lived in the US not far from my aunt and it was a much more entertaining ride back than there.  It was also cheaper!

Pereira doesnt have an awful lot going on but it was lovely to be in a local town with no other tourists and get a real taste of life here.  The fact that a banana split has three layers of cream and cheese on top, the fact the shopping centres are the place to be to eat and hang out.  Its all part of the incredible mix of things to learn about Colombia.  Relaxed and fed we climbed into bed ready to get to the next stop .... Cartegena here we come!

Coffee anyone?