San Markos and Panajachel

Lake Atitlan Travel Blog

Beautiful lake scene

Leaving behind the hustle and bustle of San Pedro I headed to meet Micael in San Markos, the spiritual, hippie, yoga retreat on the lake.  It's incredibly calm, quiet and chilled.  To get there you have to catch a boat across the lake like you'd catch a bus, a novelty I'd love to get used to!

Micael stayed at La Paz retreat which was gorgeous and set in amongst the trees with yoga practices throughout the day.  I wish I had more time to stay and hang out.  The town is pretty small and set around the main street where La Paz is and up the hill.  We wandered around until we found Limon Tree where we finally got swept up in World Cup Fever and watched the Ghana Uruguay match which was incredibly intense!

The following day I caught up with Micael again and we headed to the market town of Panajachel on the far side of the lake from San Pedro.

La Paz
 It's an absolute assault of the senses.  Why anyone would stay here is beyond me.  It's a large colourful market area on the lake and it's hustling and bustling and has none of the calm peacfulnees that the other spots on the lake have.  If you want to shop it's a good place although the prices are higher here than in other places due to the nature of the place.  Michael and I spent a whoel afternoon shopping for our non existent flats and mentally I made a note to come back here when I did finally own a place.  It's great for textiles and unique pieces.  It's great to see the differences in our wants and desires from place to place.  The colour and vibrancy here is typically Latino, it makes us in the West seem oh so dull.

After many oohs and aahs we found a lovely place to have lunch and a papya juice :)  You need a break from the town after a while, it's chaos!

I'm sad to leave such a wonderful place and i'm really glad I got the chance to be here for almost a week and see different aspects of the lake.  I hope to return one day to this magical lake of the gods.

Enjoying a chilled lunch
Enjoying a chilled lunch
Travel Guate style
Travel Guate style
A well lived in face
A well lived in face
Views from the lake
Views from the lake
Micael and I with amazing Papaya j…
Micael and I with amazing Papaya …
Colourful clips