Putting the RAIN in RAINforest

Manaus Travel Blog

The Theatre

After finally leaving Salvador (unscathed i might add!) I arrived after a fairly uneventful plane ride to Manaus, the ´Paris of the Amazon´.  I wish i would have flown in during the day to actually see the location for myself as the city is literally located in the heart of the Amazon rainforest on the banks of the Rio Negro with nothing but the ancient trees for company.  However, i flew in at night so i had to allow my active imagination to shape the view.

Manaus is a rather tired run down place and the rain does it little justice.  The old colonial buildings are French in style and really colourful and remind me of a stage set.  As in all places though a grey sky and lots of rain doesn´t show it off to the best affect.  So I spent two rainy days in Manaus discovering why they have such high sidewalks - when it rains it pours and the streets become rivers with currents! I fortunately met 4 lovely girls in my dorm and we all decided to join forces and book a tour together.  Introducing Elizabeth - an ex Marine from the US, Mikaela - a student from Melbourne,  Sarah - a lovely lady from Melbourne also and Charlie our English Rose.

We first tackled the port as 4 of us sail for 7 (eek!) days to Tabatinga to get to Colombia.  The romantic vision of floating off into the sunset down the Amazon seemed appealing, but 7 days swinging in a hammock nose to bum with 100 other people is the grim reality.  We however manged to take a look at the boats, speak to the captains and negotiate a great price ($200 reais) for the trip on Voyager 4.  So with the hard negotiations done and a ticket in hand we tackled the jungle trip operators.

After a tiring afternoon we settled on Planet Tours for a 2 night, 3 day expedition including sleeping one night in the jungle.  In a hammock.  With the Mozzies.  With only a machete for safety.  Are we mad?  Probably but when in the Amazon and seeing the Amazon in Brazil was the catalyst for my whole Latin American trip so i wanted to do it properly.  Let´s hope that there is a suitable Tarzan to meet 5 Janes when we get there!

Eric says:
I was just in Manaus with my fiancee, to go on an Amazon tour. We left early because of all the bugs, but I hope you have a better time!
Posted on: Mar 02, 2010