Playa Blanca and Birthday Celebrations

Cartagena Travel Blog

Vamos a la Playa!
We left  Taganga on the freezing cold direct bus from Casa Felipe to Cartegena.  4 hours of cramped cold conditions for the bragain price of $40,000.  When we finally arrived it felt like coming back to an old friend.  It was good to see the city again but made me miss my aunt!

We spent one lacklustre night in the city and decided to head straight to the beach.  The following morning we took taxis to the local market and caught a speed boat (with 2 motors!) for $20,000 per person (usually only $15,000 but it was Sunday) across the straight to the Carribbean beach of Playa Blanca.  This is a "no shoes, no news" kind of place.  After a bumpy and wet ride the beach came into view.  My second time here but this time to spend a day or two, lucky me!  The beach is a long strip of pure white sand with palm trees and warm turquoise water framing it.
Paradise? I think so
  In short, paradise.

We quickly found hammocks for the night for a mere $5,000 COP including mozquito nets (after Tayrona needed!) and settled into the sand and lapped up the sun.  Finally a beach style holiday part of the trip.  Believe it or not it can get really tiring travelling and it was just what the dr ordered.  The beach is visited by wealthy colombians, day trippers and back packers willing to spend the night in hammocks in return for glorious days in the sun and water.  There are shacks that run across the beach that act as restaurants and beds for the night.  There is limited electricity (Only a few people have generators) but plenty of spirit.

Alex owned the hut on the beach where our hammocks were and seemed a jovial host.
The gorgeous local kids
  That was until the sun went down and the beers came out and he turned into a drunken monster.  We´d taken ourselves down to one of the restaurant shacks as the sunset to have dinner and drinks and celebrate Lucy´s birthday when a drunken Alex showed up and started to fight the local guys and some of our friends. He was unmanagable and eventually the police came and took him away so we could enjoy our meal and drinks in peace.  Coconut rice needs attention!  No less than 40 mins later he was back with pliars and threatened another member of the group and then started to head butt, kick and bite people.  Some people shouldn´t drink.  We all quickly left and moved our stuff to another beach hut to get away from him and by the time we had returned the police had taken him away for a second time but this time for the night.
  Phew!

The night then went fairly smoothly apart from a drunken local woman and man who kept fighting over who would dance with the gringos.  A little disconcerting but nothing as scary as Alex.  We drank, we chatted and we sang Happy Birthday several times before heading to the beach for a spot of midnight swimming under the starry night.  Now this is living!

The next day was spent unknotting my back after a really uncomfotable night in a wet hammock and being massaged and fed fruit salads.  The sun shone, the sea lapped at the shore and we became more sunkissed and golden as the day went on.  It´s an exquisite place to relax and recover after Taganga!
Paradise?  I think so
Birthday girl!
Birthday girl!
Fun in the sun
Fun in the sun
A fort on the way out to the ocean…
A fort on the way out to the ocea…
Cartagena