Patagonia at last

El Calafate Travel Blog

The Perito Moreno Glaciar

I´ve dreamt of going to Patagonia for a few years.  Seeing snowcapped mountains, breathing in fresh air and spending long days hioking to beautiful viewpoints.  It was tough deciding which way to go as Patagonia spans Chile and Argentina and there are veautiful hikes and things to see in both sides.  After days of agonising i decided to stick with Maggie and save some cash by going to Argentina and then going across to Chile for a couple of days only.  Massive saving of nearly 600 pounds and it meant hanging out with Maggie longer.

Finally arriving in El Calafate was great apart from the fact i had no baggage.  There is a first time for everything and this was the first time my bag had been lost in a plane, not great when you´re sunburnt and need clothes!  What was handy though was that the baggage allowance was only 15kg so i had about 6kg of stuf in my hand luggage!  I got a transfer to Che Legarto hostel in the main town and felt myself calm down and chill out as soon as we pulled into town.

And up close!
  It looks like a ski resort with wooden houses and shops along one main avenue, buzzing with people (although no Gortex warriors much to my disappointment) and cute places to hang out.  The hostel itself was gorgeous, clean, big and warm with great showers and comfy beds.  A real treat for my sunburnt and peeling body.  It´s a crazy place in the summer where the crowds of tourists swell the population by over 100% and the sun sets only at 11pm to rise again at 4am.  It was just before th high season so i wonder what it´s like next month!

The town itself exists for one reason, the proximity to the Porito Moreno glaciar, the worlds most active and avancing glaciar.  So the next day we went along to check it out and we weren´t disappointed.  A huge chuck of ice broke off and the ear splitting crack was so impresisve as was the splash.  Unfortunately i didn´t have my camera battery as it was in my bag so Maggie has all the photos and video.  Really impressive though.  It´s a huge glaciar but a baby in terms of the glaciars in the park.  A beautiful day though topped off by eating half a kilo of the local ice cream shops best sorbet.  Yum!

El Calafate