Paradise

Ilha Grande Travel Blog

Parrots peak in the distance
Having heard so much about the island I couldn’t wait to get there. It has suffered severe landslides in the past few months so we weren’t quite sure if we’d make it. Fortunately luck was on our side and we took the local bus from Paraty 2 hours to Angra dos Reis, a rather uninspiring port town but the gateway to the Island. Fortunately as we arrived a local fisherman was making a few extra bucks taking gringos over to the island on his boat for less money and in quicker time than the ferry! Brilliant. It was a lovely journey over and we met a guy who is travelling the world working as an electrician for Cirque de Soleil … beat that for an awesome job!

Ilha Grande itself is paradise on earth.
Wishyouwerehere.com
Set 159km south of Rio it’s a tropical paradise with dazzling beaches, a relaxed atmosphere, great diving and no cars. The calm before the storm of Rio. It’s famed for its beautiful beaches and one in particular. We took the boat for 15 reals over to Lopes Mendes beach and it is by far the most beautiful beach I have ever seen. White powdery sand, clear warm turquoise water and backed by tropical forests this is the life.

We also took another boat trip for a measly 30 reals (10 GBP) out to see the green and blue lagoon and go snorkeling. These are two of the famous sights of the island and are home to some incredible tropical fish and gringos on a daily basis. The boats take around 50 people each out to the areas so you don’t really have much space or peace but they are beautiful places to see and to be.
In rubber once more ahead of my first dive

My final day on the island was spent getting reacquainted with my dive kit; it has been quite a while since I donned a wet suit. I went out with a lovely dive school and only three other people so it was really personal and I had lots of help getting back into the swing of things. Thank god! My first dive in 9 years was to a ship wreck where the ship is so well preserved I was able to swim through the corridors and onto the main deck ďż˝" very cool. The second dive we saw rays, starfish and an array of other small fish and it was a much more open and comfortable dive for me. Felt really good to be back in the water!!

So after relaxing and taking it easy the next stop is Rio, the Marvellous City. I can’t wait to see it!
Wishyouwerehere.com
In rubber once more ahead of my fi…
In rubber once more ahead of my f…
Our beautiful Pousada
Wreck dive
Wreck dive
Look i blend in
Look i blend in
Having fun with the sea life!
Having fun with the sea life!
Lagoa verde
Lagoa verde
Ahhhhhh!
Ahhhhhh!
Ilha Grande Hotels & Accommodations review
A little bit of heaven after our trauma in Paraty. A beautiful Pousada with a friendly owner set in a beautiful garden with day beds, gnomes and ham… read entire review
Ilha Grande