Manizales Travel Blog

Breathtakingly beautiful, full of students and close to the PNN national park which has snowcapped peaks, Manizales is a place not to miss. Despite our plans to hike to the summit of Nevado del Ruiz at a cool $110,000 for a day which only included 2 hours of actual walking, we decided that the price was too steep.  Margot and Will headed straight off to Medellin but Seb and I stayed to get a taste of the Manizales life.

The highest district in the city is Chipre, so after we said our "see you soons" to Margot and Will, Seb and I headed up to the hills for sunset and ice cream.  It`s hard not to fall in love with places like this and imagine what life would be like if you could live here.

After the sunset we had a mini siesta and then hit the town to see what it was made of.  It turns out more than me!  After a bar crawl through three or four of the hotspots near the hostel we stopped and drank outside the cafes on a corner filled with locals and gringos.  The place kind of shuts down at midnight and everyone moves off to the nightclubs in the surrounding hills.  We planned to tag along but only realized when we stood up how drunk we were .... oops.  The aguardiente kills you!

So after a day and a night here I have the tatse of the city and Aguardiente still in my mouth.  Heading off to Medellin to see what all the fuss is about.  Might need a snooze when i get there!

Manizales Hostels review
A decent place close to all the nightlife and action. It´s clean and has hot showers and the staff are friendly and helpful. Not much in the way of… read entire review
photo by: alexindc