Lost and Found

Fortuna Travel Blog

The beautiful views

After a quick fire decision to take the bus out of Panama City on an overnight bus Hannah, Jenny and I woke cramped and cold to find ourselves at David, Panama's second city.  We loitered long enough to take a local bus towards Bocas Del Torro which dropped us off an hour later by three yellow rocks by the side of the road.

Welcome to the Lost and Found.

After a heavy night of rain we climbed the treacherous, muddy, downright dangerous hill/obstacle course up to the hostel.  After a 20 minute climb where i slid out of my thongs several times and nearly fell all the way to the bottom again i vowed to lessen the load on my back!  We arrived and were greeted by a lovely hostel set in beautiful cloud forests with a great view of the nearby volcano, Baru.

For Dani ... almost half way there!
  It had a great feel to it, free pancakes for breakfast and a warm atmosphere.  Perfect.  That was until we met the other guests and possibly the worst hostel worker i have encountered in Latin America.  They proceeded to infuriate us with inane chatter and their clique ways.

We decided that the best way to deal with it was to head out on one of the amazing trails that surround the hostel.  The hostel itself is off the beaten track and only those that have heard about it tend to find it.  It's one of only 8 properties in the national park that has a license to be there.  The big mean Dam Company nearby is flexing it's international mussels and refusing to allow any indigenous people to have properties or businesses on the land.  Lost and Found has stepped up to the challenge and supports these people with various activities.
  We could only lend our support.

The trails are gorgeous and full of incredible trees and animals.  The first day was a lovely hike to a viewpoint but at the top the rain came and we ended up seeing very little.  The rain then proceeded to stay for the best part of two days.  We were holed up with the crappiest hostel mates ever and awful staff.  Bah humbug!  The day we went out to try and tackle the famous Lost and Found Treasure Hunt we got no further than the Labyrinth when the rain set in for the day and we were soaked.  Not what we expected!

So we whiled away the time with an amazing massage from Katherine *who was an angel and a great member of staff!*, watching movies and coming up with eventful ways to make soup, onions, limited vegetables and granola bars into meals.
Mi amigo ... shivers all round
  We also managed to entertain ourselves playing with the hostels pet, a Kinkajou called Rocky, who was a honeybear they rescued when the hostel started.  We also had lots of other animals pop in to say hello at the lodge much to our constant amusement and sometimes fear.  I don't like sharing my kitchen with a Tarantula!

I was rather glad when the third day came and we were greeted with sunshine and bright skies.  If only they had come sooner as this place would have been an incredible place had we been able to leave the hostel once in a while!

Gold beetle anyone?
Gold beetle anyone?
Coolest tree in the world?
Coolest tree in the world?
The view sin rain clouds .... me g…
The view sin rain clouds .... me …
Fortuna