Life is a Hammock - Manaus to Tabatinga

The Amazon Travel Blog

Just a few neighbours

Complete with more bags than there were hands and more food than we thought we needed (turned out i needed it!) myself, Liz, Mikaela and Sarah boarded the good ship Voyager IV to start our 7 day journey towards Tabatinga and ultimately Leticia in Colombia.  Fortunantly having spent some time looking at boats we knew what to expect and we swung our hammocks up with gay abandon as there seemed to be so much space.  As the minutes went by more bodies boarded the ship and more and more hammocks were thrown up until a tapestry of ropes, hammocks and bodies filled the space.  Cosy i think is the polite way of saying it!

We finally set sail and settled into our hammocks, our homes for the next 7 days.

Our transportation
  The boat was filled with locals - more families than anything else and most of them had more boxes than we did and looked like they were moving house!  We quickly made friends with our "neighbours" mainly as there was not much choice and also as we wanted to try and make friends.  I truly understand how children feel now, knowing what they want but not having the words to say.  I bet so many people on the boat had interesting stories i just didn't know enough Spanish or Portugese to find out what they were.

Our first night was the most rioutous of the week.  We had in our arsenal of bags and boxes 7 bottles of Vodka after it's successful use in the jungle.  We cracked the first bottle on the first night and very soon we were quite literally swinging from the flag pole, swirling toilet paper around our heads and generally being a tad raucous.

The first of many glorious sunsets (just for you Mackie!)
  The captain who we'd made friends with earlier eventually escorted us to our hammocks at 11.30pm .... ooops!

The days aboard the boat were spent swinging in the hammock and drinking in the view of the Amazon.  It was an incredible 7 days watching the scenary change, the types of trees and greens change by the day and all sailing up the mighty Amazon river.  I have never wanted to channel David Attenborough more!  The mornings kicked off quite early with my neighbour kicking me in the head at around 6am when the bell went for breakfast.  A bread roll was never enough to entice me out of bed that early so i tended to let the hammock swing whilst the sun came up on a new day.  The rest of the days were split around taking a shower, rationing out the nuts and ceral we bought on board as there was very limited veggie food on board and reading.

The start of a very drunken night

Each and every day we were treated to a magnificent sunset and we had no rain the whole week on the boat.  The skys went from blue to a fantastic red and then slowly the colours made way for the stars and some nights we were lucky enough to see the Milky Way.  The nights we spent with some of the friends we made on board - Bjorn and Sam from Denmark, Jair from Colombia (a child entertainer much to the pleasure and dleight of all the parents on board!) and Andreas from BA.  We played cards, drank vodka and danced on the top deck passing small communities lit up all along the river, which was really strange to see.

What a wonderful way to spend a week and recharge the batteries.  After a hectic few months it was great to have an excuse to literally do nothing, and what better way to do it then swinging in a hammock for 7 days going down the Amazon?

Our transportation
The first of many glorious sunsets…
The first of many glorious sunset…
Everyone say Capirhinas!