If something`s good do it twice

Salento Travel Blog

Horsing around

Complete with a band of merry men, Margot, Will, Seb and I took the long ride from Cali to Salento via Armenia.  It felt really good to get back to Salento but unlike last time it rained pretty much every day! It was the Plantation House 6th Birthday so we had a party to mark our arrival complete with free wine, my first glass since Argentina a million moons ago, and some "nibbles".

Despite having been to the Cocora Valley before i couldn`t resist temptation and went back for more.  It was misty and raining and the scenary had a completely different feel to it.  It kind of reminded me of Machu Pichu in the way the mist hugged the mountains and created an eerie mystical feeling.

The incredible Zona Cafetera
  This time i didn`t hike all the way to Acaime but Margot and I enjoyed the Palm Tree path and then took a truck back to Salento early.

The absolute highlight this time round was horseriding through the countryside.  Through Plantation House we arranged to meet a guide for $30,000 COP (10GBP) for a three hour horse ride through Salento and the surrounds.  I managed to get not alone the biggest horse but the one with the most "spirit".  All he wanted to do was run and wobetide any horse that tried to go infront of him.  I loved it!  Cantering and near on galloping along dirt tracks through undulating hills and past holiday homes tucked into the middle of nowhere was quite an experience.  We crossed rivers, climbed hills and ran down concrete paths.  Fortunately we all survived the journey without being thrown off or falling off .

Making beans into coffee
.. result.  A brilliant day out.

We also managed to take a coffee tour at Plantation House as Tim (the owner) bought the only coffee plantation in the Salento area 19 months ago.  The tour costs a measley $5,000 COP and for that you get to learn everything you could ever need to know about coffee.  So after a small jaunt down to the Plantation, which has some of the most spectacular views you could imagine, we learnt how to tell our Bourbon from our Traditional and learnt about the process of growing coffee.  It`s not as straightforward as it sounds but after an hour or so we were quite familiar with the little red beans of joy.  Shame the coffee didn`t taste that good!!!

Jeep fun