Gateway to Tikal

Flores Travel Blog

Los Amigos

After yet another long and tiring bus journey we were "welcomed" by a harrassed looking woman at Los Amigos who checked us into the most famous hostel in Guatemela.  It's with good reason to.  An incredible pure veggie menu with some of the best food I'd seen on the trip (I was till hungry after my enforced starvation in Cuba!).  I happily ate through it the menu and rested my aching bones.  The guys from the bus Krish, Vish, Kat, Chris and CJ as well as Arnon and Hgar who I'd become firm friends with at this point all joined me in Los Amigos and we had a great couple of days exploring Flores and chilling in the hostel.

I finally maneged to find some good books to exchange, there's a serious lack of them in Latin America, and settled into the hostel.

The view from the roof
  After discovering the local shiatsu practioner I decided to stay for an extra day and rest my aching bones after such a lot of travel days.  As the days of a trip draw to a close there'sa deinfite need to take breathers in amongst the busy schedule to make sure you truly take time to take in the experiences.

Flores is an island just off the coast of this part of Guatemala.  Attached by a small bridge it leads to the widertown, which is run down, grimy and typically south american.  A wlak to the local market sees the real life of these people away from the backpacker scene.  It's not a tale that's easily told and the poverty is tangiable.  Despite this the people arecheerful and friendly, a true testiment to the way your mindset affects your life.

I took the time to do some yoga and meditation classes.  It was good to just take time out and come to a place that has a peaceful stillness to it.  It's been quite a journey so far.  Guate has truly penetrated my soul and given me food for thought.  I understand why so many people become enamoured with this country and her people.  It's been a whirlwind 15 days here and I wish I could have longer.  There is still so much to see and absorb, but you have to leave something for next time.  And there will be a next time!

Flores Hotels & Accommodations review
Wonderful chilled hostel with good food, good beds, good communal areas and lovely staff. Book ahead as it gets full! Great library and safe and s… read entire review
Flores