Every new beginning is some other new beginnings end

Salvador da Bahia Travel Blog

From the top of the elevator
Raila and Jonas were reunited after Jonas finally got his visa for his Canadian residency put into his passport!  Yay!

I have two days here in Salvador before flying off to the exotic Amazon Rainforest.  Despite seeing it in Ecuador, I never really felt that i had the full experience and for me seeing the rainforest in Brazil really will be the realisation of my dream to be in the Amazon.  Miss Keller, my geography teacher would be proud! It is really good to actually see Salvador without the floats, people and craziness of Carnaval.  The city itself is huge but the two main areas where tourists visit, Barra and Pelorinho, are really quite beautiful.

Barra is the beach town with a famous lighthouse and some great little bars and restaurants and where i have been based for my time here.
  It is the Pelo though that holds most of the hostory of the area.  Salvador was a huge Slave colony and was the capital of Brazil for more than 200 years.  Hundreds of thousands of slaves were bought here and lived here and are responsible for manyof the beautiful buildings that were erected in the Pelo aera.  It is now a designated UNESCO site having been lovingly restored after being derelict and run down just 20 years ago.  The Pelo is named after the whipping post where 135,000 slaves were whipped to death.  Why the area is named after such a grotesque thing is a mystery to me, but the relationship the black slave descendants have with this area is complicated.  My guide around the Pelo insisted he would rather have been colonised and enslaved to anyone but the Portugese as they did nothing but take from the area and leave it baren.
Inside the church
  He also finds it hard to discuss his history but knows that he must to ensure that the history is understood.

The area of the Pelo has over 10 churches in a small area and according to locals there are 365 churches in Salvador, 1 for every day of the year!  One of the main churches is Igreja Sao Francisco, which is covered in gold leaf inside.  Pictures do it more justics than i can.

So this is the end of yet another chapter in the travelling adventure.  I am about to part ways with a great travel buddy, Raila,  who i have been with since Buenos Aires.  We have had some great times and seen some amazing places together but she now moves up north on the Bahia coast and i go to the Amazon.  It is always hard to say goodbye but equally exciting to think about the new adventures to come.

Bring it on i say!
powderfan says:
I'm jealous! Hopefully I'll be down there next year. I've been doing some research on a drive from the top of North America to Tierra del Fuego. I'll watch yor blog with interest.
Posted on: Feb 26, 2010
Ape says:
Well deserved feature, loving your blog! Coming september I'm planning on travelling roughly the same route you're doing, and your blog will be one of my main inspirations. Keep it up!
Posted on: Feb 26, 2010