Crisp like in Valpo

Valparaiso Travel Blog

The bohemian Valpo

Valparisio is a wonderful beach town about 4 hours away from Santiago.  It´s a UNESCO world heritage site and i can see why.  It´s Bohemian and colourful and set in the hills overlooking the pacific ocean.  With colourful houses, lampposts and interesting grafitti everywhere it´s a real step away from Santiago and has real charm.  Our hostel was beautiful and we treated ourselevs to a twin room so we could have some space and we had Amarillo (Yellow) room with a great view over the garden.  Cleansed my soul just walking in!  We explored the city and the accensors that the town is famous for - they need lifts as the hills and steps are SO steep! The main district is filled with cool bars and shops and lots of colour and it´s a great place to just soak up the atmosphere.

As it was Sunday there wasn´t much to do so it was early to bed ready for the beach!

We by passed Vina del Mar which is a built up tourist resort filled with election posters.  We went to the next beach and set up shop meters from the ocean and settled for a day of sunbathing.  This is where the fairytale ends.  Despite it being actually rather chilly and windy the sun was incredibly hot.  I rather cockily put a thin covering of factor 10 over me and promptly fell asleep in the sun.  An hour later i woke up to find myself burnt, not a little burnt, but burnt to a crisp.  They may need to find a new word for Lobster.  I managed to walk back to the hostel and take a shower (yeouch!) and tried to make it to the ASADO in the hostel but needed to lie down after a while.  And that is where i stayed.  For the whol enight and the next day and night as i couldn´t move!  Never ever been that sunburnt before and will never again be blase about the sun ... you are all my witnesses! Let the peeling commence.

View from the top of the hill
View from the top of the hill
Valparaiso Hostels review
The nicest and loveliest hostel i´ve stayed in. The rooms are gorgeous and bright and the place is home from home. The breakfast is served with lov… read entire review
Valparaiso