Colonia del Sacremento

Colonia del Sacramento Travel Blog

Take some beautiful cobbled streets and a view over the river Plata separating Argentina and Uruguay and you pretty much have Colonia. A true gem for the snap happy amongst you. I caught the first bus to Colonia to spend the day wandering through it´s beautiful cobbled streets enjoying my last day in Uruguay.

It´s beautiful here, really tranquil and relaxed despite the hoards of tourists. From the time you enter through Puerta de Campo, an old gate at the heart of the city and wander through the main plaza past the Street of Sighs (Calle de los Suprisos) you can't help but fall under its spell. The old port where pirates used to smuggle goods across the river into Argentina is no longer functioning but is a great spot for lunch and a few glasses of wine! The city also has the oldest church in Uruguay which is pretty cool.

So after going crazy with my camera and having a few glasses of wine i was more than ready to head back to my beloved BA for my last few days in the city and with Maggie. Thankfully the ferry ride back was calmer than the way there. A great taste of Uruguay but i'll be back for more soon ... Punta del Este and Punta del Diablo are on the hit list for next time!
The old lighthouse