Back in the Andes

High altitude .... check
Steep hills ... check
Menu del dia for under 3 GBP ... check
Old historic centre ... check

It feels SO good to be back in the Andes.  The people have soft Andean features again, the air and climate are much cooler after the Amazon and there are no mozzies! My first view of Latin America some 6 months ago was of Bogota from the air when flying into Quito.  I remember looking at the mountains, lush green and covered in an ever expanding, up and coming city and i remember thinking ... I'm coming for you, but not yet.  Now, 6 months later, here i am in that thriving crazy metropolis that is Bogota.

Taking a taxi from the airport to get to the Candelaria was an experience, I instantly knew i was back on the West coast of LAM as there were donkies on the road, people driving like lunatics and the city is so big the roads make no sense.  When i finally made it to Candelaria it took my breath away, the old city is gorgeous and as the sun set over vthe steeples of various churches and against the narrow roads of the area, i couldn't help but fall in love with the city.  It also helped that i checked into one of the best hostels i've been in throughout my trip to LAM so far.  Musicology is full of lovely people who will no doubt feature in the blog along the way and is one of the most chilled relaxed places i've had the pleasure of staying.  Result!

It's a strange time to be in the city though as it's election time and in LAM they enforce a prohibition on alcohol throughout the voting time.  So i'm in one of the best party cities in the world and unable to party as every establishmet is banned from selling alcohol until midnight on Sunday.  However, it's really interesting to get a feel for the political situation here and see the passion flow from the streets.  That meant that arriving on Thursday night we had just one night to party so we spruced ourselves up as much as a backpacker can and headed into the Zona Rosa district to a club called Alma where the reggaton kept us dancing until 3am.  It definitely wasn't the alchol as it was $22,000 for one drink which was more money than my bed for the night!

So I've been here two days now and have indulged myself in a little bit of pampering as frankly, i deserve it, or at least my feet do after Carnaval and the Amazon.  So yesterday i went to a salon 'far away' from the hostel.  I had a manicure, pedicure and a much needed haircut and blow dry [straight hair after 6 months is quite a novelty!] and that with the cab all came in to $55,000 less than 20 GBP!  So preened and pampered i felt like a new woman. I also had my first salsa class today, after a night of heavy drinking in the hostel as it's the only place to go during Prohibition. The spins left me a little shaky but it was great actually having private lessons and learning that, in the words of Shakira, 'hips don't lie'!

So, my last adventure in a capital city in South America is well underway.  I think it might be up there as one of the best, but never fear BA i'll always be a Portena!

Bogota Hostels review
Amazing hostel! Full of friendly people and staff who can't do enough to help. From the second you walk into the garden it feels like an oasis. The… read entire review
photo by: caliphil007