AsiaJapanTokyo

Day 8 - Studio Ghibli Museum!

Tokyo Travel Blog

Studio Ghibli Museum
Awoke early enough this morning to take advantage of the hostel breakfast, and stocked up on an ample amount of the all you can eat toast! Feeling fuelled for the day ahead, I left the hostel and made for Mitaka, and the Studio Ghibli museum. I purchased my ticket weeks ago through a UK ticket agency called MyBus Ltd, which was the easiest way as the Ghibli Museum assigns tickets to certain days. You can't just turn up on any given day, you have to buy a ticket in advance and arrive on the day assigned. So for any of you Brits out there wanting to visit the museum, I can recommend MyBus Ltd.

Anyways, where was I. Heading to Mitaka, which is quite a bit out of Tokyo city centre, and I was quite excited to see a completely new area.
Miraikan, Odaiba
However, the further one heads away from the centre, the trains become a little bit harder to navigate. There are less English signs and I had a wee bit of bother when I was changed trains, but as ever, the friendly people helped me on my way. Arriving at Mitaka, I found the Studio Ghibli quite easily as the route was sign posted well and I vaguely memorised the way from Google maps.

For any fans of Studio Ghibli, creators of animation gems such as Spirited Away and My Neighbor Totoro, the museum is a must. The building that houses the museum is magical, with winding stair cases, hidden nooks, small doors and some excellent exhibitions. Best of all was a whole room full of the story books for the latest animation Ponyo. It's stunning to see the effort, skill and creativity in just one of the thousands of hand drawn sketches.
Asimo At Miraikan, Odaiba
Give me this anyday over the likes of Pixar. There was ample examples of how they manage to give the motion of hair blowing in the wind or waves crashing against a shore. I couldn't even begin to imagine the time taken to produce a feature length film.

Speaking of films, the price of the ticket also included a visit to the cinema inside the museum to watch a short film, which was bursting with the creativity and quirkiness of any Studio Ghibli picture. I thought about purchasing a souvenir, but prices were a tad steep, so I made do with the ticket stub, which was a film cell from Ponyo. Cool. The museum was now overrun with cute kids in complete awe, and as cute as they were, I thought it was time to move on before I got too swamped.

Stopping for a quick lunch of pizza, I then boarded the train bound for Odaiba for my second museum of the day; Miraikan or the National Museum of Emerging Science and Innovation.
Rainbow Bridge, Odaiba
The museum was a fair walk from the station and so took me a while to get there. This unfortunately made me just late enough to miss the last Asimo demonstration of the day! Absolutely gutted, as I was very much looking forward to this as Asimo is one of the world's most sophisticated robots. There was plenty other demonstrations to keep me occupied for a good couple of hours though, as I browsed the huge museum along with the ever present school kids!

Next up was a visit to Aquacity, a large mall overlooking Tokyo bay and in particular, the Rainbow bridge. I wandered around the stores inside and browsed the many restaurants, as I waited for the sun to set for some epic views. I didn't have to wait to long before Tokyo's neon jungle came to life across the water. The aptly named rainbow bridge was awash with vibrant colours and made for a breathtaking view.
Odaiba

Upon returning to the hostel I was glad to meet some new arrivals. I got chatting to a nice couple from South Africa, Vikki and Alex, and soon another newbie, Ramon from Spain joined us. We were all soon singing the praises of Tokyo and sharing stories over a few nicely chilled beers. Ramon was a huge Barcelona fan so it was great to get a bit of football banter with someone! We talked into the night before we each retired, me for the last time at the sakura Hotel.
tommylennie says:
Ha, it seems like everyone wants a go on the cat bus! Maybe a petition should be started!
Posted on: Oct 12, 2009
lee-81 says:
I used the Lawson machine i don't recommend it if you can't read Japanese. I wanted to get on the cat bus to, and throw those soot sprites about but alas the sign said i was to old :(
I did exactly the same with Asimo got there late as i got lost and it was a lot further from the train station then i had anticipated, i got there just as he was going back into his room and waving good bye.
Posted on: Oct 12, 2009
niqueroz says:
nice to hear your enjoying!
keep enjoy yourself ;-)