AsiaJapanTokyo

Day 6 - Recharge!

Tokyo Travel Blog

Used Book Stores, Jimbocho
The exertions had finally caught up with me today, and as I was roughly half way through my trip I decided to take it very easy. Most of the morning was spent doing some laundry, and reading an excellent book called World War Z. The weather was great again today, so I lazed outside in the al fresco area of the hotel. September has more rain than any other month of the year in Tokyo, but so far I had been very lucky. My hunger began to grow so I headed out for something to eat.

I didn't stray too far, and wandered around the used bookstore district that is Jimbocho. Hundreds and hundreds of books spilled out onto the street from these cramped little stores, and a whole host of people on their lunch breaks perused the collections. In search of something for lunch, I came across another Kare Risu restaurant, and got my favourite dish once again.
Shibuya

Feeling a little stuck for something not too strenuous to do, I decided that I would take a trip to Shibuya. I hadn't planned on going there so early in my trip, as I would be staying there for my last 4 nights. Shibuya was something else! Despite it being only 2pm, the place was jam packed and I spent a good few minutes people watching at the infamous crossing. Salary men, trendy teens and quite a few tourists waited patiently at the crossing and as the green man came on, hunderds of people spill onto the road.

After I did the crossing myself, I headed up the teen magnet that is Center Gai, which plays host to the latest fashions, games arcades, umpteen eateries and the ever present pachinko parlours. As I walked through Center Gai, I became aware that speakers sitting on the lamposts were playing old school video game music.
Shibuya Crossing
I was side stepping between people as the mario theme tune blared out above me. Further up the street I found a huge video arcade called Club Sega, and spent a while here playing on the claw grabber toy, determinded to win something before I left. Once I had finally grabbed myself a chocolate ice cream profiterole, the internet cafe on the top floor was my destination.

The internet cafe was unlike any other I had seen before. People could stay as long as 6 hours, and could choose between a selection of seats ranging from standard to lazyboy. There was a huge library of anime and movie dvds that one could borrow. There were even showers and a huge selection of free drinks. Had I been out in Shibuya and missed the subway like I did in Roppongi, I would have came here and crashed out for the night, for about 25% of the cost of a hotel.

Once I had backed up my photos, I retired back to Jimbocho for the evening and began to get into bedtime mode as I planned to get up early tomorrow for the Tsukiji Fish Market. A few beers and some banter with my dorm mates, I was bedded. So it was quite a low key boring day by the standards of the weekend, but at the same time it was a much needed recharge day.
tommylennie says:
Yeah I know! I was totally looking for a big green pipe to jump down for some mushrooms!
Dr_Seuss says:
stepping between people as the mario theme tune blared out - The temptation would have been to be in the game and bounce on people :-D

lee-81 says:
Being British you probably do what we all do, get impatient waiting at a crossing and just cross when it's clear rather then wait for a little green man to tell you when it's safe. The only problem is if you do this in Japan everyone at the crossing thinks the light has changed and casually starts to cross, then when a ton of traffic comes bearing down on them and they all go running for safty confused how this could of happend you feel a little bad for your impatience.
Tokyo