AsiaJapanTokyo

Day 4 - The Art Of Walking Half Way Across Tokyo Drunk

Tokyo Travel Blog

Mori Tower, Roppongi
Today was the start of the weekend, so after a quick English breakfast at the hostel I made for Roppongi, and in particular, Roppongi Hills. Figuring that this huge shopping mall complex would be busy, I would have some ample people watching time. My visit to Roppongi would also gve me the chance to visit Mori Tower, for some spectacular views of the city, and I'd picked a great day for it.

Emerging from Roppongi underground station, I'm instantaneously craning my neck as my eyes follow the epic cloud buster that is the Mori Tower. Godzilla would have trouble matching up to this skyscraper! Eager to get to the top, I hastily snap a few photos of the "Mori Spider" and make my way in.
Mori Tower, Roppongi
I purchase the all inclusive ticket that will get me into the Tokyo City View, The Mori Art Museum and the Sky Aquarium. After a very quick elevator lift, in which my ears popped, I was 250m closer to heaven. The views were simply breath-taking! I circled the perimeter for views of the Tokyo Tower, Shinjuku Skyscraper district and even the man made island of Odaiba. Not content with these views, I made for the Sky Deck, located on the roof, a further 3 or 4 floors higher. The sky deck was immense, the perfect place to get snapping some photos of Tokyo, which was as far as the eye could see. I spent a good 45 mintues just taking it all in, it was absolutely stunning.

I finally prized myself away from the Sky Deck and made for the Mori Art Museum.
Roppongi
Whilst art really isn't my bag, I was more than pleased with the showcase Of Chinses artist Ai Wei Wei, the guy had done some really cool stuff. I'm no critic, but I could appreciate the creativity of his work. Next up was the Sky Aquarium, which was fantastic. The whole aquarium was plunged in darkness aside from the strobes of light that flashed through the tanks, lighting up the fish in such a trippy way. I spent ages watching the Jellyfish change colour against the lights as they floated upside-down.

I had a brief wander around Roppongi Hills, but to my surprise it was very quiet. Most of the afternoon had past so I returned to the hostel, where to my surprise, I found that it to was very quiet. Everybody from my dormitory had moved on and my plan to get some people together for a saturday night drink had been kaiboshed! What was I to do on a saturday night? I couldn't possibly stay in, not here, in this city where so much is possible.
Tokyo City View
Luckily, I had my answer 15 minutes later. Flicking through Metropolis magazine, I stumbled across an advert for an Irish bar, Paddy Foley's, and they were playing the Scotland vs Macedonia game tonight at 11pm. Sorted!

After a little more chilling out, I showered and shirted up and made my way back to Roppongi and headed for Paddy Foley's. A quick time check revealed that it was only 7pm, four full hours until kick-off, so I grabbed some dinner at MOS burger and had a wander. After only killing about 30 minutes, I ventured into the pub and perched myself on a stool by the bar. This was a little unnerving as I've never ever gone to a bar myself before. I ordered an ice cold Asahi and got comfortable as I watched the rugby, Australia vs South Africa. Scouring the bar, I could see that it was mostly full of middle-age Australians watching the rugby.
Tokyo City View
Luckily for me, I was soon talking to a younger Australian called Trevor, also here on his own, who was teaching English in Tokyo. The bar steadily began to get busier and we were soon chatting with loads of locals girls, most notably Yuki and Sayuri. They just loved to practice their English and were constantly giggling at our attempts of speaking Japanese.

And so 11pm arrived and as the Scotland game kicked off, our little party had grown with the addition of a Swedish and an Irish guy, and more Japanese patrons! The beers were flowing and the banter was ace, but I seemed to be the only one watching the game. That was until the 2nd half when I heard a chuckle from behind me as Scotland missed an easy chance. A couple were also watching the game and so I approached for a little conversation.
Tokyo City View
I won't go into detail, but the girl was from London and the guy was British/Greek, and after about 1 minutes chat, the guy threatened to quote "smash me to the ground" for using the word Macedonia, instead of Former Yugoslav Republic of Macedonia, I couldn't believe it. I'd been so used to the friendly atmosphere of this city, and then I get threatened with a punch to the face. I wasn't suprised that this confrontation was from another Gaijin though, some really do spoil things for the rest. I got an apology from the girl but I wasn't interested as I returned to my newly acquired Japanese drinking buddies.

That blip aside, I had an ace time at Paddy Foleys, especially as Scotland beat Macedonia 2-0, a scoreline which I made sure was heard by the not so friendly guy in the corner.
Tokyo City View
We were fast approaching 1am now, so our group decided to hit a club. Leaving Paddy's, we were thrown into the hustle and bustle of Roppongi. The place was packed with revellers and from out of nowhere I was grabbed by a woman who insisted that she would be giving me a "massage with happy ending", and wasn't taking no for an answer. I eventually struggled free, only to find that Trevor was surrounded by those huge African gentlemen that also don't understand the concept of the word no, as they tried to persuade him to visit their seedy strip bars. After escaping from that melee, we found ourselves seperated from the group and so decided to hit a bar for the remainder of the night. We saw out the night chatting with some more Japanese women before calling it a night.

So, here I was, stuck in Roppongi at 2.
Tokyo City View
30am, with about half of Tokyo between me and my bed. The subway was well and truly closed. What's a guy to do? Walk of course. A quick look at a map and I began heading North. I made some good ground, stopping at 7/11 stores every now again to ask for directions to make sure that I was going the right way. About an hour in, as my feet began to ache, it dawned on me that I hadn't seen a single person, aside from the 7/11 workers. In fact, in the 2.5 hours of walking I did, I only saw 2 people, both homeless, who both bowed and said hello as I passed. Unbelievable in a city of millions! I'd never felt safer. During a 2 minute walk home from a few drinks back home in Aberdeen, it's hard not to come across fighting, step in sick or generally get accosted by youths! Tokyo just amazes me I thought, as I slowly trudged along the sidewalk.

Suffice to say, after my epic 2.5 hour walk, I made it barely half way and as the subway had now re-opened, I caught the first train of the day back to Jimbocho and my lovely bed.
James1985 says:
Agreed! haha
tommylennie says:
Let's come to agreement? I'll not blame the English, you don't blame the Scots, and we both lay the blame on the Welsh? Lol!
James1985 says:
its usually yanks, brits and australians who are idiots abroad in my experience. But u pick up on it more when they are from ur own country as its embarassing! You could just claim theyre english, coz i usually blame the jocks.haha
Tokyo City View Sky Deck