AsiaJapanTokyo

Day 3 - An Afternoon In Ueno

Tokyo Travel Blog

Nakamise Dori, Asakusa
I never had a chance to set alarm the night before as I collapsed into my bed and so awoke today to find most of the morning gone. The plan for today is to visit Ueno, and in particular, Ueno park. I took the opportunity to drop by the Senso-Ji in Asakusa again, just so I could have a wander down the Nakamise Dori, which I missed yesterday due to my early morning start.

Arriving at the Senso-Ji, I was so glad that I had visited the temple so early in the morning the day before, as now the place was teaming with tourists. They were all battling with each other to get photos of themselves with the Asakusa Kannon, so I ducked away and headed for the Nakamise Dori, which was now in full swing.
The Subway
The hustle and bustle of all the visitors to the shrine made this pretty good though, as the vendors tried to drum up interest in their products.

Everything from Samurai swords, Japanese fans, rice crackers and Kimonos were on offer, and made perusing quite a lot fun, which is strange as I totally detest shopping. After a good stroll around and a green tea flavoured bean jam ball of sorts for breakfast, I was back on the train to Ueno.

Public transport back home grinds my gears. Tokyo is different. Trains run on time, they are spotless and silent. People queue before boarding the train and despite the amount of people, you always seem to have a little ring of personal space around you. There is no pushing in, and no elbows in your back.
Toshogu Shrine, Ueno Park
Riding the subway soon became one of my favourite experiences in Tokyo, particularly for the people watching opportunities. If a fellow passenger wasn't engrossed in some manga or playing on their DS or I-Phone, then they were sleeping, constantly jerking up once their head began tilting towards the floor. This made for some hilarious moments on the subway.

Once at Ueno, I followed the signs for the park, and tried to stick to the shade as much as possible with the sun bearing down. Luckily the park was only a couple of minutes from the station. First up was the Toshogu shrine, which is dedicated to, Ieyasu, the first Tokugawa shogun and is one of Tokyo's oldest buildings. The lead up to the shrine is equally interesting, as the path is lined with dozens of copper statues. Most compelling though, is the flame of Hiroshima.
Flame Of Hiroshima, Ueno Park
Tatsuo Yamamoto found the flame burning in the ruins of Hiroshima after the atomic bomb as he searched for his uncle, and kept it burning in memory of the tragedy.

After a spot of lunch I went to Ueno Zoo, which was really just like any other zoo I've ever visited. The animals seemed to be fairly well looked after though, and enclosures were fairly spacious. Aside from the Red Pandas and the Polar Bears, the highlights were the school kids, who were led around wearing red caps in pairs, with some plucking up the courage to speak some English to me before they ran away giggling!

The rest of the afternoon was spent strolling around the park, before I returned to the hostel for a nice cooling shower. All the walking done around Ueno park had worn me out and I decided on just milling around Akihabara in the evening, but not before some dinner.
Akihabara
I wandered around Jimbocho, searching for somewhere to eat and came across a quaint little tempura restaurant. As I peaked my head through the flags that cover the door, I could see the chef surrounded by salary men, sitting at seats that enclosed around the kitchen. I sat down and asked for tendon tempura, and was served up a cup of green tea and a bowl of miso soup, which was salty, bitter and delicious. I sipped on my green tea as I watched the chef prepare my tempura. The dish consisted of prawn and vegetable tempura, sitting on a bed of rice and topped off with a decent sized lashing of a soy based sauce. Absolutely delicious.

That evening, Riku and I made a quick visit to Akihabara for some photos of the area at night and I made my first electronics purchase, a USB memory stick. Tiredness hit me once again and so I headed back to the hostel and was sound asleep by 10pm.
sylviandavid says:
Nice blog... a well spent day
Posted on: Oct 02, 2009