AsiaJapanTokyo

Day 2 - Asakusa & Akihabara

Tokyo Travel Blog

Senso-Ji Temple, Asakusa
The transition of now being half way across the world kicked in this morning, as I found myself wide awake at 4.30am. There was no chance of getting back to sleep so I got showered and headed out for early morning sightseeing. My plans for the morning were to visit Asakusa and in particular the Senso-Ji Temple complex. I wasn't alone in leaving the hostel this early, as a fellow Sakura Hotel resident, Ray, was leaving to catch a plane to Manilla. We rode the subway together and I picked his brains about what he did in Tokyo, just in case I overlooked anything.

Arriving at Asakusa station, I found the Senso-Ji really easily due to the excellent signs that make Tokyo so enjoyable to navigate.
Senso-Ji Temple, Asakusa
From the guidebooks I read, the Senso-Ji Temple is touted as one of Tokyo's most distinctive and therefore busiest sights, and so I was glad to have made it here so early. There were only a handful of locals making their way through the complex, most of whom stopped to pray. Some even stopped off to burn incense sticks, wafting the smoke around themselves for their curative powers. The rest of the complex was made up of a series of smaller shrines and a little garden, with a pond and the ever curious Koi.

Unfortunately, my early start to the day meant that the Nakamise Dori, a thoroughfare catering to visitors of the temple, was yet to open. No worries though as I would return another day for the hustle and bustle of Nakamise Dori. My stomach was starting to rumble, so I headed to find some food. Not too much else was open yet either and when I stumbled upon Mos Burger I bit the bullet and got myself a cheeseburger.
Edo Tokyo Museum
Fed and watered, I was soon on my way again, crossing the Sumida river via the bridge facing the famous Asahi flame. My destination was the Edo-Tokyo museum at Ryogoku, and I had a great little walk following the the river, stopping every now and again to watch the river crabs scuttle about the banks.

With the day still in its infancy , I was a tad early for the museum and so swung by the Ryogoku Kokugikan to enquire about tickets for next Sunday's grand sumo tournament, before killing time at a local cafe. I found myself drinking strong iced coffee as I took a wild guess at the menu, but the caffeine injection would do me good.

The Edo-Tokyo, a huge museum depicting the history of Tokyo from it's beginnings to post war, was excellent.
Akihabara
The highlights were life size replicas of the Nihonbashi bridge and a traditional Japanese theatre known as a Kabuki. The special exhibition was dedicated to traditional art, with the most interesting being those that dealt with Japanese horror stories. Can't recommend this museum highly enough, and the English labels are pretty good.

Next up I was back on my way to Akihabara in search of more Kare Risu and some photos. Returning to the same restaurant as the previous day, I got my soon to be favourite meal of Chicken Katsu Kare Risu. Ordering a meal here is a little different from back home. You choose your meal by purchasing a ticket from a vending machine, selecting your dish from the little images displayed. Simply hand over your ticket to the chef and your meal will be served up within 5 minutes.
Akihabara

I spent the afternoon perusing the electronics Mecca that is Akihabara, from the large stores like Laox and Yodabashi Camera to the small anime stores, most of which sell an abundance of adult fare! Once again the maids were out in force. A large chunk of my time here was spent in the Sega Arcade, watching some seriously cool games, one of which was a football lovers dream. I couldn't even begin to explain how it works, but it was like a mish-mash of Fifa, Football Manager and Panini Football stickers! The games on offer here were so far ahead of anything I've seen back home.

After some more people watching and a lovely conversation about music with a girl called Mizuno, I decided to call it a day and head back to the hostel. Not feeling to adventurous with dinner, I opted for another dinner of Kare Risu and my first ice cold Asahi beer of the trip. 16 hours on my feet had taken it's toll on me and I was soon in bed and sleeping like a baby.
tommylennie says:
Yeah, that's the one James, it's awesome. They've got them for loads of different games now as well. God bless Tokyo!
Posted on: Mar 03, 2013
James1985 says:
Oh i saw that game, the football one. They had cards of players right? And they put them on this screen and it loaded the players onto the game and then they played?
Posted on: Feb 28, 2013