AsiaJapanTokyo

Day 11 - When It Rains, It Pours

Tokyo Travel Blog

Shinjuku
Having been so lucky with the weather so far, I guess I was due some rain. What I got was absolutely torrential, rain like I had never seen before. I held off leaving the hotel for about 30 minutes before the rain eased up a little, and eventually made my way to Shinjuku. My plan was to have a wander around the skyscraper district in the morning, before hanging around the eastern side of the area in the afternoon. Ah, but the best laid schemes o' mice an' men, gang aft agley!

Once I had succesfully navigated the epic Shinjuku station, I ventured towards the numerous buildings that pierced the skies. That's when the downpour started again, just as heavy as before! I ducked in and out of sheltered door entrances and even phone boxes, before calling it quits and sprinting back to the train station.
Golden Gai, Shinjuku
Arriving back, totally saturated, I was a little miffed at having missed out on the Park Hyatt, the main setting of Lost In Translation, one of my favourite films. I even looked into how much it would cost me to stay there for a night! Who was I trying to kid!

The rain didn't look like it was going to cease anytime soon, so I made the 2 minute journey back to Shibuya to get some dry clothes on and some lunch. This was accompanied by the usual wander around, where I saw a T.V crew conducting an interview. To escape the rain for a while, I also had a look inside the famous store that is Mandarake, in which you can find wall to wall anime in the form of DVDs, magazines, dolls and even costumes. I managed to craftily get a couple of photos before being caught!

By now the rain had let up quite a bit, so I chanced my luck and headed back to Shinjuku.
Kabuchiko, Shinjuku
I revisited the Golden Gai that afternoon for a little photography session, and wished I had a drinking buddy to go for a beer with. Moving on, I headed for Kabuchi-ko, Tokyo's infamous red light district. Despite it being around 3pm, the place was relatively lively and I got offered the chance of a few live shows on my wanderings! One thing that surprised me about Kabuchi-ko was the fact that I was able to take photos without being told off!

Once again, I found myself caught up in a games arcade, as I perused each floor in awe. I completely lost track of time as I watched teens and adults alike whittle away the hours, and their yen, on some of the craziest arcade games I've ever seen. Perhaps it's a good thing that I don't live in Tokyo, as I too would spend a lot of my time and money here.

Before I knew it, night was closing in fast, so I hunted for some more Kare Raisu in Shibuya! Afterwards, I spent the night drinking a few ice cold Asahis in the Aldgate British pub, along with a few English guys, all of whom were in to watch the Arsenal vs Man City.
91 km (57 miles) traveled