AsiaJapanTokyo

Day 10 - Shibuya Wanderings

Tokyo Travel Blog

Shibuya Crossing
The plan for today was to stay close to home and take it easy as yesterday had been quite a busy one. I had my first sleep at the Granbell hotel, and it was great to have my own room for a change, complete with a crazy Japanese toilet. After a long lie in whilst watching baseball, I got myself ready to take to the streets again. My hotel was perfectly located about 2 minutes from the Shibuya crossing, so I headed in that direction to search out some food.

I took the opportunity to visit the Starbucks Coffee that overlooks the Shibuya crossing, and was lucky to get the last seat in the place. Coincidentally, I perched up next to Liz, a girl from London, who was visiting Tokyo with her half Japanese boyfriend, although he was here on work duty.
Roppongi
They both work in marketing for Universal studios, and get to travel fairly often. I gotta change jobs! It was great to muse about Tokyo over a Creme Brulee coffee with another Brit, as I hadn't met too many of them on my travels.

The rest of the afternoon was spent just wandering around Shibuya, people watching and store browsing. I even came across a T.V Studio that were filming some sort of show in front of a live audience. However, they had a huge window from the street that allowed people to look in. I couldn't be sure what was going on but it looked like one of those crazy gameshows they adore. I also swung by the Hachiko statue just outside Shibuya station. The statue is dedicated to Hachiko, the loyal dog at the center of quite an amazing story. I've not got the time to retell it in this blog, so just google him, it's awesome.
Tokyo City View

The day had passed me by like nothing else. Why couldn't my days in the office fly by as quickly! Soon the sun was setting and I decided to revisit the Mori Tower in Roppongi for some views of Tokyo at night. Arriving at the optimal time for photos, I once again bought my ticket and was soon on my way back to the Sky Deck. Now the views of Tokyo during the day were breath-taking, but at night, it was something else. Words couldn't describe it. The lights of the city reach as far as you can see and blend into the horizon. You really do feel on top of the world. I snapped away to my hearts content and managed to get a few great photos. I'd very much recommend spending so time up there at night, even if you have been there during the day.

After finally prizing myself away from the Sky Deck, I made my way back to Shibuya. And like the Tokyo City View, Shibuya had changed dramatically since the sun set. The area was now buzzing with the youth of Tokyo, all geared up in the latest fashions, with the boys being just as guilty as the girls. From what I saw, it appears that the boys will probably spend just as much time on their fake tans and hair as the girls do.

I saw out the night wandering through the neon filled streets, as far as the Love Hotel area, before heading back to the Granbell. Time flies when you're having fun!
Tokyo