Relaxing at Zippel Bay

Williams Travel Blog

canoe launch area

I woke up early, ate breakfast and packed up my tent.  I drove to see the canoe launch and decided it was so nice and peaceful that I pulled out my camp chair and read on the beach.  I sat there for 2 hours alone.  A couple people passed by hiking or walking on the beach and two boys came to play in the water, but for the most part I was alone.  It was a warm morning but I sat in the sun, put my feet up on the picnic table and listened to the waves.  Really, what else should I do today?  This is my vacation.  Relaxation is what its all about.

I wanted to go to Garden Island to do a geocache, but I had no way to get there.  It was 20 miles away - by boat - from Zippel Bay.  I had no boat and didn't want to charter a boat for just me.  Since I had no ride to the island, I had all day to do whatever I wanted.

picnic tables at canoe launch
  Thus, reading on the beach for two hours.  I drove to the boat launch area next.  This place was packed!  I ate my picnic lunch and watched the steady stream of boats coming and going.  After lunch I quickly did the geocache then drove over to the swimming beach area.  Each of the three main areas of the park are off of separate gravel roads and there is no connecting short cut road between them.

I decided to do the hiking club trail, which started out along the beach.  It was warm and I wished I had brought my swimsuit.  Instead I took off my socks and shoes, rolled up my pants and walked through the water.

looking west
  The beach was a little rocky at the water line and sandy higher up the beach.  I got to the point where the trail left the beach and went into the woods and had a decision to make.  My feet were wet and sandy so do I put my socks

and shoes on?  I decided not to.  I took the trail and decided it was pretty soft.  In fact, it was fun to "hike" barefoot.  I don't think I've ever done that before.  The trail was grassy with few sticks or rocks so I pressed on.  About halfway along, I seriously began to question the wisdom of hiking barefoot when I noticed poison ivy lining the trail and encroaching my path.  Oh well, I came this far, how can I say I hiked the trail barefoot, if I didn't.  Besides, I'll be walking through the water again and the poisons should wash off, right?

As I left the swimming beach area, I noticed a pipe sticking out of the ground labeled "Drinking water".  I was thirsty so I stopped.  The water was gushing out and super cool.  But very iron tasting.  But it was cold and wet and free.  I decided I better get moving if I wanted to visit another state park today - this next one was a bit of a drive.

relaxing and reading on the beach
swimming beach
swimming beach
a tree grows in water
a tree grows in water
walking along the beach to the poi…
walking along the beach to the po…
light at the harbor