Mineview in the Sky

Virginia Travel Blog

look out!

My next stop was the Mineview in the Sky.  I've always wanted to stop here, but I never had time before.  You drive up a big hill of waste rock and get to look over into the open pit mine filled with pretty blue water.   I looked at some displays in the visitor center and enjoyed the view of the mine.  I thought there was a geocache up here, but it appears I was mistaken.  Perhaps I'll have to make one.

I got my picture taken near a digging bucket and looked at some big trucks up there.  A railroad ore car had a grandfather and granddaughter were playing conductor in the car.  Two large ore trucks were up there so you could admire the size of trucks needed to haul the heavy rock from the mine.  I took my photo next to one of the tires - those are some BIG tires!  A poor woman was out there cleaning graffiti off the trucks thanks to several kids.

south end of lake

I made another quick stop on the north edge of town at the Laurentian Divide.  This is a continental divide where water flows either north to the Arctic Ocean or southeast to the Atlantic Ocean via the Great Lakes.  There is a little rest area with walking/fitness trail, picnic area, and information signs.  The rest area is only accessible for north bound traffic on Hwy 169.

I stopped in Orr, MN, just north of Virginia to do a geocache.  This is Alvin's Phone Line, the first geocache placed in Minnesota, in 2000.  This cache was on my list of places to stop, so I was glad to get that one done.

NOTE:  Mineview in the Sky is permanently closed as of about 2014 due to road construction and mining activities.  Highway 53 is being re-routed with a big new bridge over the former mine/lake because the mine wants to continue mining under the former highway.

lake from visitor center