what should I do this weekend?

Saint Paul Travel Blog

Labor Day weekend snuck up on me.  I wanted to go somewhere, but didn’t plan anything.  I thought about going back up to the North Shore, maybe get some more Sven and Ole’s pizza, but I figured it would be busy up there and I didn’t have any reservations for camping.  So where could I go where I wouldn’t need reservations or need to worry about finding a campsite?  Where is a not-very popular area of Minnesota?  I could do a road trip and go to another state, but this would be a good time to continue my state park geocaching.  Since it was a three day weekend, I thought I should go somewhere far away.  Western Minnesota shouldn’t be busy, but I really didn’t want to spend my vacation in the flat prairie.  The Lakes area would be packed with people fishing.

Then I noticed the far north.  Lake of the Woods.  Why not?  I looked at a map and started planning a route.  I could drive north and swing by some geocaches near Virginia, then head to the parks up along the Canadian border, stop at some parks near Bemidji…  Yeah, I could make that work.

I decided not to bring a campstove, or much for food.  Just sandwiches, snacks, pop and I’ll stop at restaurants along the way.  Yep, sounds good.  I grabbed my tent, sleeping bag, blanket, hatchet, lantern, and matches and packed a backpack of clothes.  I was ready to start first thing in the morning.
Suusj says:
Congrats on the feature :).
simsing says:
Such a nice coincidence! This is a Labor Day weekend and an oldie from 2009 came to the front page!

missandrea81 says:
It's always fun to see older blogs getting some recognition. :) Congrats on today's feature!
Saint Paul